29 days ago
Build A Rocket Boy is conducting a search for an experienced and highly qualified Technical Director who will be accountable for the technical ownership, decision making and execution within strategic projects.
This is a key leadership position who will, influence the direction for multiple teams and own a critical technology domain. This role reports into the Chief Technology Officer.
This role is a forward-looking technology leader and will be a recognized expert within AAA games. Experience and detailed knowledge of Live Operations and UGC will also be relevant. Within team, this role innovates and pioneers design, process, workflow, metrics, planning and architecture. As a member of the studio leadership team, the position is influential with a strong impact on recruiting, retaining, and developing high performing teams.
The role will collaborate with Engineering and Production as well as Live Operations and UGC teams to rally around a consistent vision for the experience. Your influence will span several technical subsystems and the ideal candidate will have a breadth of mastery including but not limited to graphics engine, core and platform dependent systems, editor development, animation, audio, physics systems and network architecture.
We are a team of passionate developers that highly values open-minded collaboration, direct feedback, and the eagerness to grab and drive game development quality. As the project’s technical director, you will inspire and align the team around a technical vision that results in best-in-class game experiences. By directly managing a team of lead engineers and collaborating with project directors, you will set strategic initiatives and break down clear and achievable goals. When particularly hard problems arise, you'll draw upon the team's collective creativity to finalize a technical vision that meets the project's needs.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience with directing engine development efforts for one or more of the following; AAA titles, Live Operations, and UGC. Additionally, the candidate will possess an exceptional ability to inspire large teams and pitch/evangelize ideas as part of a larger-scale creative framework. By blending your mastery of engineering, design, and creative direction, you will rally and align teams around building epic, memorable experiences.
· Architect domain with multiple teams in mind.
· Accountable for overall technical design within domain
· Accountable for overall code quality within assigned teams; ensure code is cross platform and reusable and testable; ensure code is reviewed.
· Collaborate across a diverse cross-discipline team to ensure that performance, memory, storage, bandwidth goals and engine and tools features and goals are clearly defined.
· Partner with all departments to create new features, systems, and tools that meet the project’s needs.
· Identify technical risks on projects and develop contingency plans to put into place with your team.
· Ensure the coherence, efficiency, scalability, modularity, and compatibility of the technology developed by your team.
· Author, pitch, and maintain relevant parts of the technical design document.
Partner with technical leadership and senior engineers across the organization to promote cross-team shared code initiatives.
· Gather and provide effective and constructive feedback to team, providing suggestions and solutions for improvement when applicable.
· Responsible for all technical process and technology within assigned teams and their related needs across a Business Unit and/or Studio.
· Remain current on industry trends, including new game genres, new game development technology and techniques, and trending audio visual excellence.
· Maintain regular internal communications and encourage a pleasant team atmosphere.
· Demonstrate good leadership, charisma, enthusiasm and sense of commitment.
· B.S. (or higher) degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
· Experience with Live Operation and UGC a nice benefit to have.
· At least ten years of AAA game programming experience; shipped multiple AAA titles with at least one in leadership position.
· Proven experience shipping games on multiple platforms such as PC, console, and mobile in engine development area.
· Proficiency in C++.
· Strong data structures and algorithm skills with a firm understanding of linear algebra, statistical methods, and design patterns.
· Strong knowledge of software engineering practices.
· Expert-level understanding of multithreading, optimizations, graphics, physics, and animation.
· Broad understanding of performance optimization of game servers.
· Ability to foster a strong team culture with an emphasis on core company values.
· Proven ability to grow, guide, inspire, and lead growing development/engineering teams.
· Ability to direct, collaborate, and speak critically on all aspects of technical development, art, gameplay, and content creation.
· Proficient in both written and oral communication with technical and nontechnical developers.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Our Global Benefits & Perks
- Unlimited coaching & therapy — with Oliva, to support your mental health
- Annual Learning Allowance — to spend on your development
- Stock Options — everyone owns a piece of our success
- Compassionate Leave — regardless of who it is, whether you’ve miscarried, or a lost a pet, you don’t need to tell us why
- Birthday Present — gift voucher or a charity donation
- Birthday Day off — to celebrate your birthday away from work each year
- Caregiver Leave — up to 5 days each year to support your loved ones
- New baby gift — money toward a meal delivery or cleaning service
- Remote Working Budget – for remote workers to get out of the house
- Pension scheme — to finance those golden years
- Socials —office & remote events, play sessions and company-wide parties
- And even more benefits based on your location!
If you’re based in the UK
- 29 Annual Leave + 3 bank holidays - we’re flexible with most bank holidays so you can use the time to celebrate what’s important to you
- Long Service Days - 2 extra days added on your 2nd & 4th anniversaries with us.
- Private Medical Insurance - full cover with AXA
- Healthcare Cash Plan - Level 3 cover with Medicash
- Enhanced Family Leave - Primary caregivers; 13 weeks full pay, 13 weeks half pay, Secondary caregivers; 2 weeks full pay
- Cycle2Work Scheme - lease a bike through us and save on tax too!
- Electric Car Charging - electric car charging at our Port office in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Please note: Our benefits are reviewed annually and subject to change.
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and can consider WFH candidates for specific roles.