Online Backend Engineer
15 days ago
Welcome to Striking Distance Studios!
Driven by people. Inspired by challenges. Relentless to deliver creative excellence.
At the intersection of art, design and technology lies Striking Distance Studios. We are a AAA development studio within the San Ramon Hills of the San Francisco Bay Area. With the release of our first title, The Callisto Protocol, we are excited to continue to grow our team.
Here at Striking Distance Studios it is amazing people, an immersive experience and a passion for excellence that drives us each day. We are looking for people who push themselves creatively and learn with every new challenge. We give you the setting and the opportunity to do work you are proud of. We’re looking for the best to come join us and become part of a world-class team.
To us excellence is not a skill, but an attitude!
What we are looking for:
Striking Distance Studios is seeking a talented Online Backend Engineer to join our growing team working on a AAA Multiplayer project. There is a strong preference for this role to be onsite in our San Ramon studio.
- Acting as a liaison from the client gameplay side to the backend.
- Responsible for server stability and optimization, including CPU/Memory/Latency/Bandwidth
- Troubleshoots application, network, and server-level problems.
- Partners with Development and QA teams for implementation of new game features; partners with other operations teams, IT, and external hosting providers to implement and maintain secure and scalable infrastructure.
- Work closely with DevOps to implement services for live multiplayer servers.
- Coordinate with leads to ensure smooth roll out of new features.
- Create and maintain technical design documents.
- Write clear, maintainable, portable, and highly performant code.
- Adhere to team coding standards and best practices.
- Foster a culture of open, honest, and respectful communication across all disciplines.
- Bachelor's degree in software engineering, computer science, or equivalent.
- At least 3 years of game industry experience and preferably 2 years or more in a similar role.
- At least 1 year of experience with Unreal Engine.
- Programming experience in C, C++, C#, Unreal or similar.
- Scripting and automation skills in one or more of Python, bash, or similar.
- Experience troubleshooting and diagnosing service connectivity issues.
- Experience with source control software Perforce, or equivalent.
- Linux Experience is preferable.
- Cloud experience is preferable.
- Ability to be self-directed, focused, and detail-oriented.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- A demonstrable love / passion for playing and making video games.
- A highly communicative and collaborative disposition.
In California, the expected salary range for this position is $110,000-$140,000. The listed expected salary range represents a good faith estimate and the actual pay may depend on a variety of job-related factors that can include experience, education, skills, and location.
Striking Distance Studios provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Due to recent scams, our recruiters will only reach out to you via @sds.com, @krafton.com or @pubg.com. If you received an email and are unsure you can always email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.