Womxn Develop at Ubisoft - Programming Mentorship for Womxn in Video Games
San Francisco CA us
4 days ago
Programming: The Challenge
In this technical gameplay challenge, you will create and submit a game made entirely in C++ using a provided API.
The theme of this challenge will be announced on October 23rd.
The challenge is open to applicants who:
- Currently attend OR have graduated from a post-secondary school no earlier than Spring 2019
- Are students or recent graduates with less than 2 years professional experience in game development
- Identify as womxn
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Able to work in San Francisco in summer 2021 (we will cover the cost of temp housing)
- This challenge must be completed individually. Team-based submissions will not be reviewed
You will need Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 in order to complete this challenge. The “Community” free version is enough. We will use Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 to compile and test your code.
We provide you with a simple API on September 25th which allows you to draw lines, get pad/keyboard inputs and play sounds. You should have no reason for modifying this API. A project can also be found in the package, providing examples of how to use the API.
- One step at a time: start small to reach something big.
- When you reach a stable state in your work, we advise you to save your project to be able to revert back to it in case you get stuck. For example, you can use a source control solution such as git, or even make a local copy of your code to serve as backup.
- Before starting to code something that seems generic, check in the standard library, if it’s not already provided there.
- Check that the release version compiles before submitting your code.
A panel of expert judges will individually rank the overall entry package, out of 30. Here are points we will consider:
Code Structure: (1-15)
- Clear and simple extensible code
- Self-documenting code with clear interfaces
- Well-managed memory and data flow
Technical challenge: (1-10)
- Usage of modern C++
- Applicable algorithms and data structures
- For example: AI behaviors and character control fluidity, etc.
- Fun game
Reminder : This is a technical challenge, so we will ignore artistic merit in the judging and focus mainly on your programming skills.
Select candidates will be invited for a mentorship interview and will be provided feedback on their submission. Ubisoft San Francisco will designate up to five finalists, dependent on the recommendations of the Ubisoft San Francisco judging panel.
Ubisoft San Francisco is the sole judge of this contest and reserves the right to elect the panel as it sees fit; the judges’ decision is final and non-negotiable.
Any pitch materials or game ideas submitted by applicants to Womxn Develop at Ubisoft will not be used by Ubisoft San Francisco Inc. and remain the property of the applicant.
Application Requirements and Documents
Submit your resume by Sunday, September 27th, 2020.
One (1) paid Intern position at Ubisoft San Francisco. The Internship shall be for a length of up to three (3) months at Ubisoft San Francisco studio, during Summer 2021. Dates subject to change at the sole discretion of Ubisoft.
Key Dates 2020
September 25 – API available for download
September 27 – Application – Resume Submission Deadline
October 23 – Challenge Weekend starts
October 25 at 11:59pm PST – Challenge Submission Deadline
January 2021 – Winners Announced
Look for our mentorship session in October 2020.
Ubisoft is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
Successful Applicants will receive:
Mentorship - Game Design and Programming mentors guide you through the challenge, providing insights into the development process in Fall 2020.
Internship - Winners receive a paid internship with Ubisoft San Francisco in Summer 2021, learning from some of the industry’s top talent.
Experience – Interns get real-world development experience working on industry-leading AAA games at a large, multi-disciplinary studio.
The Womxn Develop at Ubisoft mentorship aims to attract and develop diverse talent for our studios around the world. With more people playing games than ever before, we have an exciting opportunity to create inclusive entertainment that is truly reflective of our diverse world.
The industry continues to benefit from different backgrounds, fresh perspectives, and new ideas. Develop at Ubisoft supports this evolution by highlighting emerging talent – when they thrive, so does the industry.
Successful applicants receive mentorship from our experts across programming and game design, and hands-on game development experience through a paid internship.
Come build the future of entertainment today with Ubisoft!