Web - Server Developer
Oxford, United Kingdom
11 months ago
Rebellion Oxford is currently looking for an experienced Server Developer to work on backend systems for multiple AAA titles currently in development for multiple platforms. This role includes developing and maintaining cloud-based backend services such as matchmaking, analytics and telemetry.
The role is full-time, based in-house at our Oxford headquarters. We can consider permanent or in-house contract employment but not freelance or agencies. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
You will ideally hold a first class or 2:1 degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or other science-related subject would be preferred. Candidates with other degrees and those without higher academic qualifications are still encouraged to apply if they meet all of the experience and skills criteria.
We also require;
- Previous experience developing robust, scalable backend systems, ideally in the games industry.
- Experience of writing efficient RESTful services and TCP/UDP socket programming.
- Experience with cloud services such as AWS or Azure also an advantage but is not required.
In this role you will;
- Work as part of our web tech team and liaise with game engine programmers
- Develop and maintain server-side game services
- Monitor health and performance of features as they go live, debug and quickly resolve server and database issues on games in production
- Propose and assist in developing secure and robust backend service protocols
Strong programming skills – PHP essential, C and C++ an advantage
NON-ESSENTIAL, BUT DESIRABLE
- Experience with TCP and UDP socket programming and developing RESTful APIs
- Experience with MySQL/MariaDB, Redis, Memcache et al.
- Knowledge of network protocols, firewalls and routing
- Comfortable working knowledge of linux
- Enthusiasm for games
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS, Google, etc)
- Experience with NAT traversal techniques
- Real-time multi-player coding experience
- Holidays: 25 days paid annual leave plus all bank holidays (33 days total)
- Relocation: reasonable pre-agreed costs eg belongings, transport, non-refundable agency fees, etc
- Pension: contributory pension scheme where company matches 4%, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Cycle Scheme: spread bike payments over 12 months, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Eye Test Vouchers: free eye tests and additional discounts on glasses/contact lenses
- Introduction bonus: £2k for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Loans: Up to £1k interest free personal loans
- Free Stuff: fresh fruit, Rebellion Steam titles, GDC Vault access, digital 2000AD/Solaris/Abaddon/Ravenstone copies, game and film library
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000AD merchandise, discounted membership at The Athlete Centre gym 200 metres from Oxford studio
- Culture: friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance
- Social: annual company events (Summer BBQ & Christmas Party), various ad-hoc events and out-of-hours social groups such as photography, board games, football, baking, etc
- Oxford Location: local pub, M&S and Waitrose, 5 minute walk to train station and 15 minute walk to city centre
- Hours: flexible start and finish times (core hours 10am-4pm with 7.5 working hours overall plus 1 hour for lunch