Virtual Production Technical Artist - Tools
Remote Los Angeles CA US United States of America
13 days ago
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Art at Epic
What we do
Push your artistic talent to the limit on a team of world-class environment, character and concept artists who strive to innovate and inspire.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic.
What you’ll do
Epic Games is in search of a Virtual Production Technical Artist to empower the use of Unreal Engine and real-time technology in filmmaking. Virtual Production with Unreal Engine can play a role from previsualization all the way through to final post, blending traditional shooting techniques with performance capture, virtual reality, and interactive scene collaboration in service of the filmmaker’s vision.
As a Virtual Production Technical Artist focused on Tools, you will help external studios connect the dots between the many people working together and the many things happening at once during a Virtual Production shoot or capture session. Your work will ensure successful project execution in ways ranging from initial guidance and training to hands-on tools building to solve a problem on set. This position requires a person with a unique combination of artistic, technical, and practical skills who is ready to take on great challenges and help shape the future of Virtual Production.
In this role, you will
- Work closely with external customers to deliver industry-leading projects that utilize Unreal Engine and real-time technology to the fullest.
- Act as the direct link between Unreal Engine users and the development team - visit studios and embed with productions as needed to help them learn and do what it takes to succeed.
- Apply experience and knowledge to help optimize Unreal Engine deployment for film and tv workflows in real-world situations.
- Clearly understand production requirements and translate them into recommendations for both external customers and internal Unreal Engine development.
- Identify bottlenecks and limitations in the pipeline and tools.
- Provide creative solutions, resolve technical challenges, guide best practices, and help studios achieve their goals with Unreal Engine.
- Create support documentation on the Unreal Developer Network website, as well as specialized support documentation, videos, and samples for virtual production.
- Participate in Unreal Engine licensee efforts, including but not limited to: live Unreal Engine demonstrations, pre- and post-license technical support, and Unreal Engine evangelization at trade shows.
What we’re looking for
- Direct Virtual Production experience with Unreal Engine on real world projects.
- Strong understanding of multiple aspects of the Unreal Editor including the creation of sophisticated Blueprint scripts, Sequencer, and LiveLink.
- Familiarity with film/tv production workflows in general.
- Expertise with body and facial motion capture, live camera tracking, data recording, virtual cameras, and virtual scouting is a plus.
- Domain knowledge of layout/environment assembly, animation, and look development is a plus.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues via email or face-to-face.
- Desire to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Openness to speak at one-to-many situations such as trade shows, Epic Dev Days, presentations at developer studios, etc.
- Willingness to travel.
- You’re user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k.
All Epic employees enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!