11 months ago
Lab42 is a best-in-class cross-platform game developer based in the UK. Our headcount has grown with fantastic, experienced people supported by a veteran management team with backgrounds from Activision, Codemasters and EA.
We developed the officially licensed photo-realistic, sports/simulation Snooker19 with World Snooker for all major Consoles and PC. That’s in addition to providing a range of development services and special projects to a growing client list which features Paradox, Sega, Codemasters and Curve Digital.
Lab42 is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Lab42
We are looking for a VFX artist to expand our team here at Lab42. This is a fantastic opportunity where you will be primarily porting work and modifying existing VFX to run well on new platforms. There will also be future opportunities to work on exciting new IPs!
You must be passionate about all aspects of VFX design and implementation. From fluid and effects simulation and baking down to particle optimization in engine whilst also having a history of VFX creation and a keen interest in the technical aspects of their implementation.
If you have a passion for VFX and wish to develop your skills further collaborating across multiple projects in a supportive environment, then this is the right opportunity for you.
Within this role you will:
- Work under direction to create stunning VFX, optimised per platform, across multiple titles and art styles.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of the VFX pipeline, from initial concept, right the way through to final in-game polish.
- Collaborate with designers, artists, and coders to design and implement VFX which will not only enrich the game world, but also support gameplay requirements.
- Work with the Graphical Rendering team/Technical Art team in the development and improvement of workflows and technologies to improve visual effect quality and performance.
- Be up to date on current and emerging visual effect trends and technology so you can contribute to new techniques and workflows.
- 1-2 years of experience working in game development
- A Portfolio demonstrating VFX (Demo reel required)
- Experience in an engine (e.g., UE4/Unity)
- Experience in a DCC tool creating an effect from scratch (in Adobe/Autodesk etc)
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus & Annual Salary Reviews
· Electric car scheme
· Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday a duvet day and Christmas
· Holiday ‘buy and sell’ scheme
· 5 Paid Learning Days, including 1 volunteer day per year
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses, The Gnomen Workshop, GDC Vault and more
· Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
· Free Life Assurance - 4x Salary
· Free Income Protection Scheme -up to 75%
· Free Dental Insurance
· Supportive Employee Assistance Programme with confidential 24/7/365 helpline & app
· Access remote GP, Mental Health, Physio appointments & medical second opinions
· Additional flexible benefits scheme
· Cycle to Work Scheme
· Mental Health First Aiders
· Payroll Giving Scheme
· Game & Book Libraries
· Long service & project completion awards
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Great family events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
· Relocation Support to the UK
· Visa Sponsorship
Why should you work at Lab42?
Lab42 was formed with just one developer, and we have grown organically over the last five years. Now part of the Sumo Group we’re based in the heart of Royal Leamington Spa; a thriving town with a bustling game-development scene.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the Sumo family, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
We are a small, dedicated bunch with experience, drive, passion and creativity. Lab42 has a flexible working environment that make this a relaxed and friendly place to work. By prioritising the happiness and wellbeing of our staff we have been able to hire many industry veterans, and we are proud to have one of the lowest rates of staff attrition in game development.
On application, please include your current CV and any relevant portfolio content. You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this role.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.