UX/UI Design Director
Wizards of the Coast
Gold Coast, Australia
5 days ago
For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that’s where you come in.
Wizards of the Coast is looking for an experienced UX/UI Design Director to join our Digital Publishing & Licensing team and help bring our most beloved brands to digital channels and experiences. With deep experience in modern UX/UI best practices and methodologies, the Principal UX/UI Designer has led multiple teams to success through critical insight and imaginative vision. Possessing experienced communication, diplomacy, and negotiation skills, this creative lead will adapt their management and communication styles to accommodate multiple challenging situations and personalities, often across multiple cultures.
Reporting to the Creative Director for Digital Publishing, Licensing & Platform, you will work with the other team and discipline leads to define the UX/UI vision and execute on it with excellence with our internal and external partners. You will help the overall direction and growth of the organization and champion the value of UX design among the senior leadership team. You will deliver outstanding designs on schedule and within budget. Able to multi-task across multiple projects under production pressures, this person can receive direction -- but more importantly, is able to make strong, self-directed decisions, with a focus on performance and results.
With an unequaled attention to detail, you will be flexible across multiple design principles. Ultimately, this person is the standard-bearer for WOTC’s digital user experience projects and initiatives, leading their projects and peers into the next generations of interactive entertainment.
A day in the life of a UX/UI Design Director:
- Advise, direct, and facilitate internal and external teams in development of the user experience across multiple digital games, applications and platforms.
- Develop and maintain long term relationships, consistently raising the quality bar for WOTC titles.
- Craft, document and pitch wireframes, comps, prototypes, and visual direction.
- Diplomatically collaborate with designers, artists, engineers, and producers.
- Identify current or potential content creation issues and provide clear solutions.
- Audit existing systems and propose solutions for improving the UX/UI.
- Undertake tasks solo or as part of a team.
- Propose and implement visual and technical design solutions for new features.
- Develop UX/UI across a range of different platforms while understanding the unusual requirements for each.
- Write thorough documentation and set UX/UI standards for WOTC’s digital user experience across multiple digital games, applications, and platforms.
What you'll bring:
- BA or BS degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial).
- 8+ Years of AAA game development experience with a minimum of 3 shipped titles.
- Has successfully completed at least 1 complete development cycle as a Lead UX/UI Designer, or comparable position in the video game industry.
- Proven experience in designing usable web-based interfaces.
- Strong, clean visual design sense.
- Excellent leadership skills, verbal and written communication skills, presentation skills, and partnership skills.
- You will be a good communicator, standout colleague, and be able to take art direction.
- High proficiency in Photoshop and Illustrator, and the ability and willingness to build a full spread of UI art assets within these programs.
- In-depth deep understanding and understanding of UX/UI design tools and software.
- Deep understanding of all aspects of game development process, from design methodology to craftsmanship and production.
- Ability to lead a full spectrum of UX/UI talent, across multiple experience levels.
- Experience with content creation and game engine tools.
- Has worked on GAAS and premium game titles.
- An understanding of the nature of user interaction in video games and applications across multiple channels.
- Good foundation knowledge of the WOTC games.
- Willing to travel to meet with development partners when required.
- Strong examples of work demonstrating creativity in spatial layout, typography, graphic illustration, haptic design, and/or etc.
- Motion graphics or animation experience.
- In depth experience in HTML and web development.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.