14 days ago
Who we are
Ubisoft Winnipeg is a technology studio with a unique mission: develop new technologies that will change the way we build video game worlds. We are the only Ubisoft studio focused on exploring the unknown to develop technology that empowers game creators at all Ubisoft studios to build even better, more immersive worlds across our major brands such as Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed and Watch Dogs. Our vanguard studio is on the hunt for passionate and experienced innovators to lead our inspired team in the creation of leading-edge technology in one of Canada’s fastest growing cities for game and tech development. Join the family!
Who you are
As a UI Artist at Ubisoft Winnipeg, you’ll build the visuals that smoothly guide players as they navigate a game, melding gameplay and design to create amazing user experiences.
Sure, your title may have “artist” in it, but you're a game developer above all. With a player-focused mindset, you make use of space and choose the best design elements like colour, typography, and animation to communicate clear, consistent, key content in the right place at the right time. Thanks to your work, gameplay experiences remain immersive – and aren’t abruptly interrupted by questions like, “What am I supposed to be doing again?” You possess superior UI skills and are able to translate high-level requirements into interaction flows and artifacts, and you excel at transforming these into beautiful and intuitive user interfaces.
What you’ll do
- Partner with the brand and art director to grasp the game’s visual identity, art direction, and brand guidelines
- Follow design documentation to translate high-level gameplay ideas into functional UI designs
- Work (very) closely with UX designers to visually communicate the path they’ve laid out
- Create interface assets (menus, animation, HUD, icons, buttons, world maps, etc.) + build wireframes and mockups
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints
- Integrate your assets using our proprietary tools and engines, with the help of programmers
- Develop and refine your work based on feedback from collaborative teams (debug and optimize)
- Document and share your UI design workflow and best practices
- Collaborate with the localization team to adapt menus into different languages
What you bring
- A college diploma in Digital Media, Computation Arts, Graphic Design, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 3 years of experience in visual design or related experience
- A passion for games and a strong knowledge of console and/or mobile games
- Up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies
- Demonstrates the independency, efficiency and commitment to projects/tasks
- Knowledge of design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects), game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), game limitations, and prototyping tools *
- Understanding of usability principals & information architecture
- A highly creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it
- A sharp eye for UX design and a passion for visual communication!
*Knowledge of 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max or Maya) + familiarity with scripting language and shader writing = nice to have
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work, showcasing your UI skills (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
At Ubisoft Winnipeg, we believe it is not work experience, education or training alone that qualify you to work on our team. A deep passion to build and create, a personal arsenal of innovative solutions to problems developed from an inner calling – we place considerable worth in your personal accomplishments because we recognize that the value they bring to our creative, innovative culture is immeasurable.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms and believe it is our strength. We recognize and celebrate a variety of perspectives, opinions, opportunities, and voices. We embrace our differences and draw from them to build our collaborative family culture.
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.