14 days ago
Hello, we’re Glowmade! We’re a small, exciting company and the goal of our games is to unlock people's imagination and help them express themselves in wonderful, fun ways. Right now we’re busy building a new multiplayer cooperative game with an ambitious creative wrapper around it. We can’t say too much, but if you can imagine Jim Henson’s Labyrinth mashed up with Wrestlemania, then you’ll be on the right track!
This is an opportunity to play a crucial role in our expanding team. You’ll be working closely with the engine team as you understand and build upon our custom in-house technology, as well as the wider development team, supporting internal tool and feature development, optimisation and compatibility. You will be joining at a critical stage of the project with the opportunity to make a tangible impact on the project.
From day one we would like you to...
- Enthusiastically jump into our existing codebase, improving key developer tool and pipeline features
- Build relationships with the users of the engine - the team - to understand how to help them achieve their goals
- Work closely with Jonathan and Oscar, our principal engine programmers, to more fully expose the capabilities of the engine to the rest of the team in a user-friendly way
In six months you will be...
- One of the go-to “Can we have this, please?” people
- Knowledgeable in many areas of our engine, with the opportunity to explore any of them as deep as you want as long as it serves the team and the game
- Pivotal to the success of the game, having specced and delivered key tooling and pipeline technology
- A central, supportive member of our small team
The ideal candidate would…
- Care about code quality and robustness, but not to the detriment of the end goal: delivering the game.
- Know lots about performance tuning and optimisation
- Come armed with a strong technical background, where your intuition to the ‘what’ is backed up by the ‘why’.
- Show willingness to do all the things, in order to Get Them Done.
- Be at C++ Level: Brilliant, but not so Brilliant you use template metaprogramming, traits and std::range all the time.
- Shipped a game as part of a team
- Experience delivering a cross-platform project
- Not super-fussed about Object Oriented design
A few more bits...
This is an opportunity for you to make a significant contribution not only to the game but to our team and the company. Everyone at Glowmade has a voice, and it’s important to us that you feel empowered and are given the time and space to use it.
We’re based in Guildford, UK, and are interested in both onsite and remote candidates. We offer competitive wages and we are an actively equal opportunities employer. If all of the above sounds exciting and you think you can fill this pivotal role, please get in touch. No agencies please!
- Private Medical Cover
- Weekly PT Sessions
- Accrue extra holiday days per year of employment: 1 additional day of holiday on the 1 Jan following your first full year of work then 1 further day of holiday every 2 years
- 3x Wellbeing Days" per year: Emergency "can't face work today" days. It's like a duvet day except you don't have to stay in bed - it's for you to do whatever feeds your soul
- 3x Charity Days": Extra days to volunteer for social or community work
- Flexible working around our core hours of 10-4.30
- Matched pension contributions (We always give 5%)
- Generous parental leave (Please see handbook for full details)
- Bike to work scheme (Free bike, basically)
- £250 annual "personal development" budget, you can spend this on self improvement in
some way (doesn't even have to be work related)
- PASTRY WEDNESDAY and other delicious food based events
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.