Technical Lead - Frostbite AI Systems
9 days ago
Frostbite is EA's state-of-the-art multi-platform game development engine, powering games such as Battlefield, FIFA, Dragon Age, Madden NFL, Plants vs. Zombies, Need for Speed, Anthem, and Star Wars Battlefront II.
The Frostbite Engine group in EA is looking for an Artificial Intelligence Systems technical leader, for a diverse team of engineers, whose mission is to develop tools, workflows, and runtime features that support the multiple AI needs of EA game teams throughout the world.
As a Technical Lead, you will work closely with the entire AI Systems Team, but primarily with the Team Leads, guiding and mentoring them.
You will be the main driver of the architecture for the systems we build, striving to improve the quality and the performance of the code, of our procedures and tools. You will also code, side by side with the team, following Agile methodologies.
You will be intimately working with data-driven workflows, crowd systems, debugging tools, behavior trees, pathfinding technology, asynchronous gameplay systems, animation and machine learning technology.
You will report to the Engineering Manager of the AI Systems team. You will also work with a diverse spectrum of partners such as game studios engineers from all over EA, Frostbite Senior Technical Leaders and partnering with Engineering Management, Program Management and Product Management to allow you to translate the technical vision into proposed solutions for the team.
Technical skills we're looking for
- Fluency in the C++ language and extensions such as STL
- Multithreaded programming and debugging experience in large, established codebases
- Good command of object-oriented programming design principles and patterns
- Experience with designing complex, maintainable software systems
- Understanding of multi-platform portability challenges
- Exposure to complete life-cycles of video game titles or game engine releases
- Exposure to gameplay AI features such as behavior trees, planners, positioning, cover systems, crowds and NPC control, pathfinding and navigation mesh generation
- Eager to understand Machine Learning and the runtime deployment of trained models
- Basic experience in designing UI elements using the C# language and WPF framework
Leadership and Process skills we're looking for
- 2 or more years of experience in technical leadership of software teams
- Experience in working collaboratively on a common codebase with many contributors
- Experience in mentoring of more junior engineers
- Openness to work with team members, stakeholders and customers, to communicate progress and contribute in technical and project discussions
- Passion for good workflows and well-architected software
- Passion for code testability and authoring quality user and developer-level documentation
- Experienced in review processes, in delivering and acting on review feedback for code, design and documentation
- The ability to adapt to change
What's in it for you?
- The opportunity to influence and shape AI technology for EA
- Learn the state-of-the-art technology and processes in a top gaming company
- Establish personal development goals and a career path while being supported to achieve them
- Work in an environment with a flexible schedule and a great culture
- Participate in worldwide gaming-related events and conferences
- Have your name on the credits of the triple-A games based on Frostbite
- Have dedicated time allocated for innovation and prototyping personal projects
- Travel to worldwide EA studios locations to work with game and engine teams
- Make friends among smart and fun people
- Comprehensive benefits packages
- ...and of course, free video games.