This job might no longer be available.
Technical Director (Server) - Unannounced Project
20 days ago
Scopely is looking for a Technical Directorfocused on server technologies to join our team to join a new truly unique multiplayer strategy game based in any of our locations. We can support with visa sponsorship and relocation assistance.
At Scopely, we care deeply about what we do and want to inspire play every day - whether in our work environments alongside our talented colleagues or through our deep connections with our communities of players. We are a global team of game lovers who are developing, publishing and innovating the mobile games industry, connecting millions of people around the world daily.
We are in the early stages of development on an ambitious, unannounced Strategy/MMO title, creating a team of talented and passionate game makers to join us on this exciting journey!
What You Will Do
Reporting to the VP of Technology, the Technical Director (Server) will set the standard for technical work within the studio and take responsibility for developing the skill set of the development team to suit game design goals. The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge of various game technologies for clients but will be strongly focused on server technology.
- Understand the server technology, middleware and their constraints in the main areas of a game: client, server and infrastructure
- Strategically plan the future evolution of the server technology in partnership with product, design, and other stakeholders
- With the Engineering Leads, manage the development cycle and identify the engineering tasks and processes needed to execute on the roadmap
- Ensure that the games are being built with a productive methodology and solid coding practices, technical briefs, code reviews, keeping in mind long term quality
- Identify technical risks on projects and develop contingency plans to put into place with the team
- Maintain positive working relationships with technology teams within Scopely to enhance the use of shared technologies
- Maintain regular internal communications and encourage a pleasant team atmosphere
- Facilitate communication both within and across disciplines
- Demonstrate good leadership, charisma, enthusiasm and a sense of commitment
- Manage the performance of the engineering team staff, growth and nurture the engineering organization
- Take responsibility for recruitment, on-boarding, development and professional training of the engineering team
- Ensure each Lead Engineer defines clear objectives to their team members and direct reports
- Propose solutions to improve the development of projects in the studio
- Identify and promote the application of technical best practices within the studio
- Facilitate and encourage the sharing of technical knowledge and code between projects
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years of leadership experience in the games industry and preferably 2+ years in a similar role
- Experience in developing highly available back-end systems and servers for large-scale MMO games, high-traffic web systems or applications
- Experienced with Python and its ecosystem (libraries, frameworks, etc.), familiarity with web frameworks such as Flask, Tornado, FastAPI, or another similar web framework and Python threading, as well as the principles of async programming
- Familiar in design and implementation of highly-scalable, reliable, and secure systems using Redis and its ecosystem, such as Redislabs. Solid understanding of RESTful API design and development
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- Exceptional people management and communication skills
- Good knowledge of programming languages and software engineering practices
- Expertise in the relevant server and infrastructure technologies that are part of a game
- Experience with stateful and stateless game server architectures
- Familiarity with messaging systems such as RabbitMQ, AWS SQS, Redis Streams
- Experience working with AWS services like EC2, ECR, RDS, S3, and IAM
- Knowledge of Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) and experience with Terraform for managing infrastructure deployment
- Understanding of network infrastructure and cloud networking concepts, such as VPC, Subnet, Security Groups, and Load Balancing
- Experience with traffic analysis via Charles proxy, browser developer tools, Datadog, logs
- Understanding Kibana / Datadog log querying and dashboards
At Scopely, we create games for everyone - and want to ensure that the people behind our games reflect that! We are committed to creating a diverse, supportive work environment where everyone is treated with respect. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities and welcome individuals from all backgrounds to join us & embrace the adventure!
Scopely is a global interactive entertainment and mobile-first video game company, home to many top, award-winning experiences such as "MONOPOLY GO!," “Star Trek™ Fleet Command,” “Stumble Guys,” “MARVEL Strike Force,” and “Yahtzee® With Buddies,” among others.
Scopely creates, publishes, and live-operates immersive games that empower a directed-by-consumer™ experience across multiple platforms--from mobile, web, PC and beyond.
Founded in 2011, Scopely is fueled by a world-class team and a proprietary technology platform Playgami that supports one of the most diversified portfolios in the games industry.
Recognized multiple times as one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” Scopely is a multi-billion-dollar business due to its ability to create long-lasting game experiences that players enjoy for years.
Scopely has global operations in more than a dozen markets across Asia, EMEA, and North America, and is home to many internal game development teams, referred to as Scopely Studios, with additional game studio partners across four continents.
Scopely was acquired by Savvy Games Group in July 2023 for $4.9 billion, and is now an independent subsidiary of Savvy.
For more information on Scopely, visit: scopely.com.
Notice to candidates: Scopely, Inc and its affiliates will never request payment or ask for financial information as a condition for applying to a position or receiving an offer of employment. All official Scopely, Inc. recruiters only use email domains that end with @scopely.com.
Our official website is www.scopely.com . Please only apply to positions posted on our official website and ensure the recruiter only communicates via the official email domain.
Should you have any questions or encounter any fraudulent requests/emails/websites, please immediately contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.