Technical Director, Economy
29 days ago
Roblox, Technical Director (Individual contributor), Economy, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s mission is to build a human co-experience platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. Every day, more than 33 million people around the world have fun with friends as they explore millions of immersive digital experiences. All of these experiences are built by the Roblox community, made up of over eight million creators. We believe in building a safe, civil, and diverse community—one that inspires and fosters creativity and positive relationships between people around the world. For more information, please visit corp.roblox.com.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real-time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more.
As a Technical Director in the Economy group, you will lead the technical vision of a ll virtual economy and real world money at Roblox, from purchasing and selling virtual items to the real time bidding of advertising slots.
The Economy platform team maintains the base frameworks that power a virtual marketplace that handles over 10s of millions of transactions a day. The team provides the infrastructure and statistics to empower developers to monetize their games, with our top developers earning millions of dollars each year.
In the year ended December 31, 2020, Roblox had billings of $1.9 B illion. We measure our virtual economy in GDP which has just surpassed that of Belize! You will be responsible for the uptime, security, and technical direction of our virtual economy and real world money systems , We operate at large scale with services hitting 700k QPS making sure all transactions add up and nothing is missed. The team provides the infrastructure and statistics to empower developers to monetize their games. In 2020, we paid our developers $328.7 million, up almost 200% from 2019.
At Roblox we move fast and ship code to production daily; your leadership will increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. You will identify and mitigate risk and make sure the technology outpaces our growth. Roblox teams are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership over the things they build. If you have a desire to grow and learn, you will fit right in with our highly-skilled and ever-expanding engineering team.
- Experienced: You have 10+ years of experience in large scale software deployments with a proven track record of delivering highly performant technical solutions. You have a BS in Computer Science, MS/PhD are a definite plus.
- Accomplished: You have experience defining architecture for millions of users and are excited about technical challenges. You can be hands on and still define an architecture from scratch and make sure it can scale from few users to hundreds of millions.
- Knowledgeable: You have a deep understanding of all the components required to build modern large scale infrastructure. You can recommend one route versus another and bring a team of engineers to consensus. You also love to pick up new technologies as the landscape evolves.
- Versatile: You’re a jack of all trades and you have mastered several languages and technologies already; you can easily adapt to any situation when the need arises and come with the right solution.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Team-oriented: You have a magnetic personality that invigorates the team around you and you are used to lead technical teams in any situation.
- Become an expert on our technology stack, Economy domain and make sure we solve problems in the right way.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to turn our most promising opportunities into Roblox products.
- Passionate about working on a large scale, consumer-facing mobile and web applications.
- Author specs for new Economy infrastructure and partner with infrastructure teams at Roblox to roll it out.
- Lead other engineers by example and through technical direction.
- Collaborate with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow.
- Balance the company's vision and direction with Economy’s.
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
- Free catered lunches and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- Fitness reimbursement program
- 401K program
- ESPP Program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Unlimited vacation policy
Roblox – Powering Imagination.