Technical Director (Character)
Toronto ON ca
6 months ago
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
Character Technical Director
As the Character Technical Director, you will be responsible for determining, preparing, and adapting the tools that should be used during production for modeling and (to a lesser extent) animation.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
- Develop or find the best tools (ex. 3ds Max/Maya, MotionBuilder, etc.) and methods possible for improving and facilitating the work of the animators;
- Develop tools for modeling, Rig, and facial capture;
- Create, organize, and lead training sessions so that all members of the modeling team can properly use the tools and methods;
- Produce documentation on tools, methods, training, processes, and engine constraints for future reference and consultation;
- Coordinate and act as a contact between the modeling team and the programming team;
- Regularly communicate technical constraints and their reasons to the modeling team;
- Serve as the technical contact for technical issues related to characters;
- Perform all other related tasks.
Bachelor or College Degree in 3D art or animation or equivalent training or work experience.
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience as Technical Artist or Character/Animation Technical Director;
- Must have shipped a minimum of 1+ AAA games.
- Excellent knowledge of real-time modeling techniques (shaders, normal map, displace, morph, etc.);
- Excellent knowledge of Maya/3ds Max;
- Excellent knowledge of Python, MEL, MAXScript, ORSDK, and C#;
- Knowledge of character modeling/rigging;
- Good analytical and synthesizing abilities;
- Autonomous and resourceful;
- Attention to detail;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to adapt to change;
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Relocation assistance
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our differences helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome applications from all interested candidates. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for people with disability upon request.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.