Technical Design Animator
The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability. For more information, visit www.Gearbox.com.
This role primarily focuses on developing new animation features in engine and providing ongoing support for current tech and working to create improved pipeline and planning practices with animation to improve overall content efficiency.
- Create & maintain animation blueprints / state machines / character data
- Tune blending for gameplay animations.
- Break-down, and document, design features into easy to animate content.
- Work with Designers and Animators to maintain/monitor best practices and optimal workflows.
- Support animation content implementation with other departments including Missions, Systems, and Gameplay teams.
- Research & prototype new animation systems for use by Animation and Design teams.
- Communicate and work closely with Gameplay and Engine Programmers to develop new features needed to deliver highly polished, sophisticated presentations.
- Document system functionality and breakdowns for use by future employees or other teams.
- Identify potential pipeline improvements and act to improve them.
Softskills and qualifications
- Autonomy, autodidact, positive attitude, good troubleshooting abilities and open-mindedness towards constructive criticism.
- Familiarity with animation systems including blending, warping, layering, synched choreography, and state machines.
- Needs to be familiar with animation pipelines from mesh to implementation of final assets.
- Able to collaborate and work well with teams from various disciplines.
- Ability to own a feature from pitch and documentation to prototype and final implementation.
- A positive attitude and an ability to receive and provide objective feedback on areas of game feel and presentation.
Bonus Points For
- Experience in Unreal 4 Animation Systems
- Programming Capability in Python, MEL, or C++
- Experience in Maya and Motion Builder Animation Systems
- Experience with mocap systems and software such as Vicon Blade
- Strong balance of creative/visual aesthetics and technical skills.
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.