Technical Artist: Pipeline (All Levels)
4 days ago
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Dundee is on the lookout for talented Technical Artist: Pipeline who possess a passion for Technical Art to help develop and support our titles. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Dundee.
WHAT WE DO
- Bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges throughout Art - from content creation through to the game (across multiple platforms).
- Create and maintain tools and pipelines that improve our Art workflows.
- Provide general support for an ever-growing Art team and document/share solutions/knowledge with wider team.
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify and solve problems before they affect the Art team and our projects.
- Work closely with fellow Technical Artists as part of a global team working on interconnected tools and systems.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments (aside from the Art department) such as Tools (Automation) and Runtime teams.
- This is a Technical Artist position with a Pipeline specialism. This means the tasks, while varied, will relate mainly to improving our various Pipelines.
- Connecting various DCCs/tools/systems into cohesive pipelines from content creation through to the game (mainly for Art and Animation teams).
- Contribute to the development of our core proprietary automation frameworks to allow for greater scalability as our project/pipeline needs continue to expand.
- Maintaining existing pipelines and automation processes for on-going development work on released projects.
- Creating user interfaces (Desktop and Web) to interact with and manage our Automation Systems.
- Evaluating and breaking down existing manual processes different teams have - work with them to streamline and automate these processes with minimal downtime.
- Designing, implementing and iterating on services to be consumed within and outside of Technical Art departments.
- Planning out and executing migrations to new language/framework/DCC versions for the Technical Art team and the wider Art and Animation Team.
- Planning and rolling out improvements to our Technical Art development processes - introducing new patterns of working;
- Pushing forward how we version/package/deploy/distribute our tools, pipelines and services.
- Improving testing frameworks and expanding on test coverage where possible.
- Setting up CI/CD pipelines to streamline and improve quality of delivery and quality of life for developers.
- Improving code quality and standards with automatic linting, documentation generation and validation of commits.
- Create tools/scripts to support production/tracking (integrating with inhouse systems and 3rd party solutions such a Shotgun).
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist: Pipeline or similar/related position.
- In the absence of the above; videos or an online portfolio with relevant examples of your work will be required so we can assess your skill set.
- Strong coding/scripting skills with OOP knowledge.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think outside the box.
- Ability to design and execute long term work on complex pipelines and tools.
- Comfortable coding in modern IDEs and debugging.
- Understanding of using DCC packages for authoring game Art and/or Animation.
- Strong communication, self-management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a schedule and deliver effectively to deadlines.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Professional experience developing pipelines and/or tools in Games/Films/VFX is highly advantageous.
- Experience with Python (standalone, web or within the context of a relevant DCC) is highly advantageous.
- Experience with C# and .NET Core/Framework is highly advantageous.
- Experience with proprietary or 3rd party Automation/Scheduling systems (Airflow, OpenQue, Jenkins, Hadoop or similar).
- Experience setting up CI/CD systems (GitLab, TeamCity, Jenkins or similar).
- Experience creating script/tools in 3DS Max, Motionbuilder, Maya, Houdini or Substance.
- Experience with Shotgun and use of the APIs (REST and/or Python).
- Experience with QT (PySide/PyQt or C++) and Model/View pattern.
- Experience leveraging Code Generation in development workflows.
- Experience creating and deploying Web APIs and using OpenAPI (Swagger).
- Experience creating and deploying services using gRPC.
- Experience with Docker/Containers and orchestration (in particular Kubernetes).
- Experience with NoSql (MongoDB/Elastic/Cassandra etc...) or relational/Sql databases.
- Experience using source control software (i.e. Perforce, Git) and working on a code base collaboratively.
- Professional experience working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Professional experience working in a large team spread across multiple locations and timezones.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.