Technical Art Director
8 days ago
Who we are
At Fortis Games we aspire to make great games that bring people together while redefining how game companies work. We believe in building a sense of belonging through our games, their communities, and how we operate and treat each other. Through our game communities, we will create powerful connections and lasting memories. We will foster a culture of diversity, equity and belonging where together our diverse skills, experiences and background impact the games we make.
We are an early but mighty organization with a leadership team of game industry veterans. There are many opportunities for you to have a big impact on the products we’ll be making as well as the overall direction of the company. If you’re passionate about tackling difficult problems with direct and thoughtful communication and team first mentality, we may be the right place for you.
What you’ll achieve (outcomes vs what people will do)
- Leading a team, in collaboration with Art Direction, Product, and Engineering, to define technical content creation methods and processes that aim to achieve exceptionally higher quality end product.
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision & determine technical feasibility.
- Provides production and technical support to Art and Product, including; shader scripting, VFX, lighting, rendering, animation, modeling, game content pipeline design, and maintenance.
- Define and lead the development strategy of custom tools and workflows that enable the team to rig and animate characters and objects faster and efficiently, resulting in a higher quality end product.
- Design and lead the implementation of an efficient and robust pipeline for asset creation and level building, resulting in high-quality game content delivered on schedule and within budget.
- Resolve specific, complex, escalated issues & approve technical specifications.
- Continually explore and push the limits of new technology and techniques.
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on new technology and techniques on market trends to define our best practices.
- Participate in recruitment to build the technical art team & foster their growth.
- Lead and provide mentorship and guidance for the technical art team.
- Excellent communication and collaboration with the art, design, and programming teams.
What you’ll need to be successful (competencies)
- Ability to lead a team of technical artists and provide technical direction for the entire project.
- Strong ability to debug complex technical issues and find creative solutions to problems.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively communicate technical information to non-technical team members.
- Strong project management skills and ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements to increase team efficiency and productivity.
- Extensive understanding of game mechanics and ability to implement complex game systems.
- Mastery of rigging and animation techniques for complex characters and objects in multiple styles.
- Strong ability to create, manipulate and optimize real-time game assets, including characters, environments, and particle effects.
- Expert-level knowledge of the Unity game engine and scripting including advanced application of performance profiling and benchmark testing tools.
- Excellent knowledge of modeling programs such as 3DSMAX/Maya/Blender/Zbrush and texture/material authoring tools such as Photoshop and Substance.
- Strong knowledge of shader creation via node graph, HLSL or GLSL.
- Proficiency with Python, C# or C++
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Why join us
There are many reasons to join us, but here are a few:
- We strongly believe we are changing how games studios operate and at the core of what we do is making great games that create a connected community
- We're not just about making Games Where You Belong. We're also about building communities where our people belong. That's why Fortis is a thriving environment that celebrates diversity, embraces inclusivity, and fosters growth.
- Build and grow with a seasoned team of accomplished talent who have left an impactful mark in their disciplines, both in and out of gaming
Fortis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.