Surfacing Technical Director, Cinematics - Irvine Onsite Preferred but Open to Remote
11 days ago
Job Title:Surfacing Technical Director, Cinematics - Irvine Onsite Preferred but Open to Remote
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a hardworking and motivated Surfacing Technical Director (TD) to join our cinematics team. Our cinematics have a variety of ranges in styles and complexity, so we are seeking team members who are passionate about crafting tools, solving problems, and creating technology for producing these movies.
You would help augment commercial packages such as Katana, Mari, and Substance to offer a flexible workflow for surfacing artists in building extraordinary, animated cinematics, as well as building new stand-alone workflows. You will be working closely with artists and supervisors so strong communication skills are required.
If you love a challenge and want to help provide critical support to artists, then we would be thrilled to have you on board!
- Developing, modifying, deploying, and debugging software
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Some understanding of techniques and technologies relating to CG pipelines and workflows, from asset creation to final compositing
- Experience in third-party computer graphics programs and renderers such as Katana, Mari, RenderMan, and Redshift
- Some experience writing tools or plugins in commonly used third-party computer graphics programs
- Ability to shift priorities during production schedule changes
- Desire to function in a technical support role
- Proficiency in Python and object-oriented programming
- Experience working in Windows or Linux environments
- Experience crafting tools in PyQt
- Ability to teach, guide, and educate surfacing artists methodically toward their own debugging to champion self-sufficiency in their own work
- Provide practical feedback on the surfacing pipeline and offer potential solutions on how to improve them
- Understanding of computer graphics concepts such as rendering and shaders
- Familiarity with any common vfx platform libraries – openEXR, OpenVDB, Alembic, USD
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, Engineering, or related fields
- Familiarity with Blizzard games and Cinematics
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
This role is anticipated to be assigned as a hybrid work model position, with some work on-site at an Activision Blizzard office and some work remote. However, we understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore other possible options, including remote work arrangements.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.