Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
14 days ago
Tangent Animation is the vision of Animation and Film Production industry professionals, with combined experience that encompasses CG Animation, Live Action Film Production, Visual Effects, and Software Development. Tangent Animation employs open source solutions to create high quality animated feature films. What sets us apart from many other studios is our use of Blender, an open source software to make our animated films. We are scouting for the best talent and enthusiastic people who are eager to join our amazing team!
Following our recent success with "Next Gen" (now on Netflix), Tangent is looking for experienced as well as able and passionate Surfacing Artist for contract and potential long-term employment in Winnipeg, MB. If you are seeking to be a part of an exciting project and team-based environment, we’d love to hear from you.
Positions - Junior, intermediate and senior surfacing artists
Surfacing artists bring three-dimensional models to life; they add texture and color to the 3-D characters, environments, and props in an animated feature to enhance their visual appeal. Being a surfacing artist requires creativity and an eye for design elements such as detail, scale, composition, color, and form.
- Meet production deadlines and communicate clearly with production management
- Establish and create the final look of characters, props and scenery and offer nuances to achieve the desired final look
- Participate in reviews and offer insight/suggestions for improving art and workflow
- Bring creative ideas and solutions to optimize the level of visual and technical quality
- Surfacing artists are master digital painters. They enhance the appearance of characters, props, and environments in an animated feature film according to the visual style set forth by the art director, production designer, and director of the film.
- The surfacing artist is responsible for technically demanding and complex surfacing setups.
- They work closely with the modeling and lighting departments to ensure that surfacing needs are met alongside the needs of other departments. These artists use computer rendering environments such as Blender, Substance Designer, Substance Painter and Photoshop to develop the needed surface materials, textures, and UV maps that overlay 3-D models.
- They must produce consistent, high-quality work while maintaining a steady flow of assignments into the pipeline and meeting rigid deadlines.
- An understanding of polygonal texturing and UV mapping and layout is necessary.
- Able to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner and meet deadlines
- The artist must be able to learn new programs and create in different visual styles as required;
- Knowledge of PBR workflow needed
- Experience with Substance Painter/Designer is desired
- Ensure working files are efficiently organized and work meets internal standards
- Interact with production/leads/supervisors in a positive and constructive manner
- Able to take direction and criticism positively and professionally
- Basic Photoshop skills
- Knowledge of Blender would be an asset
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team based environment
- Great company culture, with a team that is very technically proficient, highly motivated & excited to work on projects that will change the industry
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Casual dress-code
Demo reel/Work link and Resume is mandatory.
Tangent Animation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.