Staff Software Engineer (Linux Kernel)
28 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Future Technology Group here at PlayStation collaborates on exciting developments like this!
FTG's Cloud Gaming Platform enabled SONY AI to create SOPHY!
Staff Software Engineer (Linux Kernel)
Aliso Viejo, CA
At PlayStation, we're leading the revolution in cloud gaming as we push the boundaries of what's possible! Would you like to use your skills, time, and passion on meaningful projects that are building the future? We're looking for a Staff Software Engineer who loves designing and building innovative hardware and software, wants to make a difference, and enjoys working with creative, intelligent and collaborative teammates. If that sounds like you, come help us build world class technology capable of delivering fun and unique gaming experiences to millions of players!
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be responsible for developing new Linux kernel drivers and features for servers and embedded hardware. You have a broad knowledge on Linux / BSD in addition to hardware technology including: CPUs, GPUs, FPGAs, storage and network. This role provides a healthy mix of production and R&D projects that ensures work is both fast-paced and rewarding.
Our ideal candidate is an engineer who enjoys facing new challenges and the sense of accomplishment from tackling them.
- Develop and maintain Linux kernel drivers and features
- Development of low-level system software
- Troubleshooting performance and reliability issues at a global scale
- Upstreaming experience to the Linux kernel
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or 8+ years of relevant work experience
- 8+ years of relevant programming experience in C/C++
- 8+ years of experience in low-level Linux kernel and systems development
- Ambiguity doesn’t scare you. You see it as an opportunity to define the future
Skills & Knowledge
- Linux and/or FreeBSD kernel and systems development
- Strong debugging / analysis / troubleshooting skills
- Understanding of computer architecture
- Experience developing device drivers and software for server and embedded systems
- Understanding of hardware and software architectures for AI and machine learning
- Rust and/or Python a plus
- Experience configuring and deploying containers and orchestration technology a plus
- Git version control
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Motivated self-starter
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Active contributor to open-source projects is a plus
- Understanding of PCIe, FPGA and storage technology a plus
- Understanding Networking and interprocess communication a plus
- Understanding of Japanese language and culture is a plus
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
The estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
$167,300 — $250,900 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.