Staff Backend Engineer
1 month ago
Who we are
At Fortis Games we aspire to make great games that bring people together while redefining how game companies work. We believe in building a sense of belonging through our games, their communities, and how we operate and treat each other. Through our game communities, we will create powerful connections and lasting memories. We will foster a culture of diversity, equity and belonging where together our diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds impact the games we make.
We are an early but mighty organization with a leadership team of game industry veterans. There are many opportunities for you to have a big impact on the products we'll be making as well as the overall direction of the company. If you're passionate about tackling difficult problems with direct and thoughtful communication and team first mentality, we may be the right place for you.
About the role
As a Staff Backend Engineer, you’ll own game features and exercise your creativity through every step of the development process, from initial design all the way to live game support. Work closely with product, design and software engineers to implement large-scale game features and highly distributed services.
What you’ll achieve
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to design and implement APIs for new game features.
- Partner with client-side engineers to develop SDKs for server-reliant game functionalities.
- Analyze and optimize server code to resolve complex bugs and enhance performance.
- Create technical documentation to guide stakeholders and engineers on software design choices.
- Rapidly address and resolve critical issues in a live operational environment.
- Continuously learn and adopt new technologies, algorithms, and methodologies.
- Identify and improve performance and security aspects of distributed systems.
- Design and build efficient, reusable systems and tools for team use, focusing on speed and long-term success.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- Significant and demonstrable server software development experience.
- Extensive familiarity with distributed and in-memory database systems like Redis.
- Good knowledge of Docker, bonus for experience with orchestration systems like Kubernetes or ECS.
- Experience with IaC solutions like CloudFormation or Terraform is preferred.
- Must be proactive, self-directed, and organized.
- Games backend experience is an asset.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Why join us
There are many reasons to join us, but here are a few:
- We strongly believe we are changing how games studios operate and at the core of what we do is making great games that create a connected community
- We're not just about making Games Where You Belong. We're also about building communities where our people belong. That's why Fortis is a thriving environment that celebrates diversity, embraces inclusivity, and fosters growth.
- Build and grow with a seasoned team of accomplished talent who have left an impactful mark in their disciplines, both in and out of gaming
Fortis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.