This job might no longer be available.
Sr. User Researcher (Consumer Insights) - Glu Sports
7 months ago
Glu Mobile (NASDAQ:GLUU), the leader in development of high-fidelity free-to-play mobile games, is seeking a Senior User Experience Researcher. User Experience Research is part of a combined, global marketing and UxR organization. We are international, collaborative, innovative, efficient, and we love player insights almost as much as we love players. The Senior User Experience Researcher will work directly with our game production teams to provide various games user research services during the entire life cycle of a game’s development – from initial conception to post-launch live ops.
About the Role:
We are looking for a passionate senior user experience researcher who can take on a semi-embedded role with one our studios. By semi-embedded we mean that 3-4 days a week you will be working side by side with studio leads, producers, designers, engineers, artists and product managers helping to inform game feature roadmaps, usability and the overall player experience. You will be able to go deep on a product for our GluSports studio as the lead researcher while collaborating with the central research team about other products in the portfolio.
Ideally, the candidate will have a variety of mixed-methods approaches in their toolkit. Expert level understanding of the strengths and weakness on a variety of research methods is required. Most importantly, the candidate should be excited to dig in to the audiences, affordances and economies of the mobile free to play market.
What you will do in this role:
- Report actionable insights to game development teams that inform product decisions and game designs
- Play the games in development regularly and contribute to design discussions and feedback sessions
- Expertly collect and report on qualitative or quantitative data from playtests, diary studies, surveys or data from other games user research methods
- Analyze large data sets of player behavior
- Lead the full life-cycle of research projects from study design to data reporting to following up with teams on how they are acting on the insights
- Moderate playtest sessions, conduct focus groups and manage diary studies
- Write and code efficient surveys that tap in to both the Glu audience and outside audiences
- Willingness to set up equipment for studies (web cam, streaming media, audio, installing builds on devices)
- Keep track of budgets and product roadmaps alongside studio leads
- Investigate and report on new methods, run brown bags and trainings with the larger team
- Conduct heuristic or expert evaluations of competitor titles
- Help improve our visualization abilities and study report templates
- Liaise with various Glu departments, such as legal, customer service, user acquisition, and analytics for the purpose of research
What you need for this role:
- Passion for gaming, game design and free to play economies for a wide variety of genres such as sports, FPS, and RPGs
- 4 years’ experience leading user experience research projects in the gaming or mobile app space, or equivalent relevant experience
- BA, BS, MS, MBA, MFA or PhD in Computer Science, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, HCI, Human Factors, Design, Media Studies, Interactive Design, Game Design, Symbolic Systems, Entertainment Technology, Digital Culture or related field
- Expert understanding of qualitative and/or quantitative research methodology
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to visualize data in unique ways, present evidence and make recommendations to development teams (i.e. PowerPoint, Keynote or other infographic tool)
- Strong data manipulation skills (i.e. Excel, R, SPSS)
- Passion for helping teams create the best possible player experiences by informing great design with great data
- Desire to influence
- Interest in exploring cutting edge methodologies or applying research methodologies from other fields to the evaluation of games
Bonus background in one or more:
statistics, market research, quantitative research methods, design strategy, prototype testing, product validation
- Tableau, R, SQL, light scripting
- Demonstrated experience as a leader on multiple user research, game design theory, human factors, psychology, or participatory design project in an academic or industry setting.
Please include any links to a portfolio website or past work examples. And we'd love to hear what interests you about Glu Mobile and this role.