This job might no longer be available.
Sr. Software Engineering Manager
Vancouver, British Columbia
3 months ago
We are EA
Electronic Arts is more than you’ve ever realized. We’re more than a company, or a headline, or even a clever catchphrase – we’re a vibrant community of over 8,000 artists, storytellers, technologists and innovators working toward a shared vision: to inspire and unite through play.
While headquartered in Redwood City, EA's platform engineering, game development, and publishing operations take place in a network of locations, stretching from Shanghai to Stockholm, Melbourne to Vancouver. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you’ll feel the energy and support of EA’s global brand, while immersing yourself in a culture that inspires you to thrive, take risks and dream big. Our unique studios create amazingly creative and fun games - fast-paced puzzles, adrenaline filled warfare, galaxy-spanning adventures, high-speed racing, and sports so realistic you can practically feel the grass under your feet.
Since its founding in 1982, EA has helped shape the way over 300 million registered players consume and enjoy interactive media. No other company can deliver EA’s portfolio of amazing games and services, across multiple platforms, to players around the world. It is an exciting era in games, and an exciting time to join the team at EA!
The Challenge Ahead:
EA’s Digital Platform (EADP) organization is responsible for driving critical technology decisions and investments for EA on a global basis, across all divisions and studio teams. Technology and engineering leadership at EA is critical to making the industry’s best games and services and the EADP team is leading the way to providing cross-platform infrastructure that will keep our consumers connected with our games anytime, anywhere with anyone..
What you will do:
- Be part of a distributed ~10-15 person cross-functional scrum team
- Provide a unique blend of technical and personal skills to provide technical leadership, mentoring, and career guidance to a group of engineers
- Coach your team and help them see, reach and extend their potential
- Collaborate with external teams
- Identify the technical impact of production/design decisions and surface the trade-offs
- Help drive and champion the culture of performance, maintainability, quality, and automation in your scrum team
- Use your knowledge of software engineering concepts to design and implement tested, reusable, and modularcode
- Own technical direction, design, and implementation for features within your scrum team
- Actively participate in project scoping, planning, design, and execution
- Work closely with both technical and feature product owners throughout the design and development process
- Deliver iterative value for our players, marketing and game franchise partners
- Contribute to building robust, performant APIs and modules that power key capabilities
- Apply knowledge of the business goals to derive innovative solutions for the project, team, and group
- Be an active learner who is up for expanding your breadth of knowledge
- Have a passion for your craft. You feel ownership over everything you ship.
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or 10+ year relevant work experience
- Solid understanding of team management theory
- Solid understanding of how to motivate a team of engineers
- Experience leading a team of 6+ engineers
- Experience managing, mentoring, goal setting, mediation and career planning
- Experience building powerful, performant API services
- Experience building robust, reusable, well tested, documented, distributable modules that provide key capabilities to an organization
- Experience and passion for championing and mentoring others in software development best practices appropriate for the domain
- Experience with SQL and non-SQL databases such as MySQL, MongoDB, RDS, DynamoDB
- Expertise with both object-oriented and functional software design principles
- Experienced with Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment best practices
- Experience working in a cross-functional Scrum team
- Experience using Git and related tools like GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket, etc
- Experience with DevOps / infrastructure systems
- Experience with web platforms such as Amazon Web Services
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Expertise in delivering technical presentations
- Expertise in delivering system-level technical design and documentation
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, and, of course, making great video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Don’t Just Play It – Create It!