Senior Software Engineer - Backend
10 months ago
CrowdStar is a Glu Mobile studio and now part of the Electronic Arts family. The combination of our talented teams at Glu and EA position us as a leader in the largest gaming category in the world. We are forming a powerful growth engine that will expand our current games and deliver more amazing new experiences across sports, lifestyle, mid-core, and casual for players everywhere. Come join us!
CrowdStar is part of the Glu family of studios and we believe that there is a huge opportunity in interactive entertainment products for women and our goal is to build products which engage, enrich and empower them.
With our two top grossing titles, Covet Fashion and Design Home, CrowdStar has developed new ways for players to enjoy fashion and interior design. Not only are we changing how women game, we’re also changing how they discover and shop for everything from clothing to shoes, or furniture to home decor. As a team, we are passionate not only about creating fun and engaging games for women but enriching lives outside of the game.
We’re actively hiring senior backend server developers for multiple positions across Design Home and new and unannounced titles. The positions are based in Toronto working with industry veterans in Toronto and San Francisco as one integrated team.
In this role, you will be exposed to using server technologies at scale and to building distributed systems at a very fast-paced environment. We are looking for someone that is driven by creating great game experiences and is able to apply their passion and skill toward delivering on high quality games. Do you like to challenge yourself and would take pride in delivering fun experiences to millions of players? At Glu we value learning, collaboration, experimentation and trust.
- Design and implement backend services and pipelines
- Work closely with QA to help define test cases
- Identify and drive codebase improvements with other engineers
- Plan against and tackle new challenges that arise during development
- Optimize for performance and scalability
- Participate in sprint planning and task estimation
- 5+ years of professional development experience building backend services
- Excellent working knowledge of OOP, design patterns, algorithms, and data structures
- Expertise in at least one server side language (e.g. PHP, Python, Java) with a desire to develop in PHP
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. MySQL), NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB, Couchbase) and caching technologies (e.g. Redis)
- Experience with modern cloud architecture (e.g. AWS)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent teamwork and problem-solving skills, flexibility, and ability to handle multiple tasks
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
- Expert knowledge of PHP and experience with PHP frameworks (e.g. Symfony, Laravel/Lumen)
- Developed back-end services for mobile apps that have millions of daily users
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We cr ea te extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine cr ea tivity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for l ea rning and l ea ding that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers.
We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on h ea lth and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and maternity and paternity l ea ve, plus free video games and so much more!
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.