Sr Manager, Game Design (PD)
19 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Manager, Game Design
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone , Uncharted: Golden Abyss , and Syphon Filter , is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA title.
We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Game Design Manager to guide and support our Design team. This role calls for an individual with a blend of creative prowess, robust leadership abilities, and a dedication to talent development. As the Senior Design Manager, your primary responsibility will be to aid in the career progression of the design team, providing them with the mentorship and resources required for their continuous growth and maximum performance while supporting the Studio’s core values and goals of the project.
In addition, you will work closely with both department and studio leadership to enhance the culture within the design department and promote inter-department collaboration. By fostering a spirit of unity, cooperation, and shared creative vision, you will play a crucial role in maintaining a positive and productive work environment where innovative ideas thrive, and the overall quality of our products continually improves. This aspect of your role will require strong communication skills, an inclusive leadership style, and a deep commitment to fostering a culture of collaboration and mutual respect.
- Oversee the professional development and career progression of the Design team members.
- Monitor and manage team performance, offering regular, constructive feedback and organizing periodic performance evaluations.
- Partner with individual team members to create tailored personal and professional growth strategies, pinpointing areas for improvement and potential learning experiences.
- As the hiring manager, you will have to collaborate with HR to coordinate recruitment, onboarding, and employee retention initiatives and organizational structure for the design department.
- Cultivate a productive, positive, and creative work environment, promoting a culture of mutual respect, clear communication, and teamwork.
- Collaborate with project leads to guarantee design quality, consistency, and alignment with the project's creative vision.
- Act as a point of escalation for design-related issues, addressing and resolving conflicts and challenges in a timely and effective manner.
- Provide mentorship to team members, sharing your expertise and fostering a culture of ongoing education and improvement.
- Work closely with other leadership within the studio to foster a culture of cross-departmental collaboration and to further enhance the work environment within the design department.
- A Bachelor's degree in Game Design, Computer Science, or a similar field, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in game design , including at least 5 years in a leadership or management role.
- A comprehensive understanding of the game development process and current industry trends .
- A proven track record in mentoring, coaching, and fostering game design talent development and related skill sets.
- Strong leadership and team management skills, with experience in cultivating a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- The capacity to manage multiple projects concurrently and work well under pressure.
- Proficiency in various game design tools and software platforms.
- Proven proficiency in Agile Development and Methodology.
If you're passionate about creating incredible player experiences and possess the skills we're looking for, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your resume.
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
This is a flexible role that can be remote, with varying pay ranges based on geographic location. For example, if you are based out of Seattle, the estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
$148,900 — $223,300 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.