5 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Senior Engineer position will support technical development toward successful publishing of product for global release. We are looking for a person with a diverse game development background, including experience with cooperative and competitive multiplayer. We are specifically looking for experience not only with core game development to release, but also with post-launch support. This individual will facilitate aspects of the day-to-day technical development.
Specifically, this position will design, add, and modify features of the runtime and tools components of Unreal Engine 5. This position will also write and modify data and code with a heavy focus on real-time performance and usability, as well as provide features which can be used in practice to create best-in-class contributions to our games.
Principle Duties / Responsibilities:
- Design and develop game engine technology based on feedback from team leads
- Design and implement efficient low-level systems to support higher-level pipelines
- Design and implement tools that facilitate content creators in developing game assets
- Maintain and update existing systems for increased functionality and performance
- Maintain familiarity with the capabilities and limitations of specific game platform hardware
- Work independently to complete assigned projects with limited supervision
- Document technical implementation details for other programmers
- Work with production teams to analyze and address development challenges
- Educate production teams on technology and engine functionality
- Respond to bug reports, feature requests, and questions related to engine technology
- Act as an expert in specific fields within the spectrum of programming
- Oversees or participates in design and implementation of systems within areas of concentration
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game development
- Maintain responsibility for an area of the engine for both production and other programmers
- Advise and mentor other programmers across the studio
- Assist other Programmers with all technical questions
- Maintain current knowledge of technological developments in the game industry
- Other duties may be assigned
Required Knowledge / Skills:
- PEOPLE: Proactive self-starter, but also a team player. Strong interpersonal, facilitation, oral and written communication, and project management skills a must. Ability to listen and understand various viewpoints and help guide diverse global workgroups to common solutions. Strong cultural sensitivity and sensibility a must.
- PROCESS: Process knowledge, attention to detail, timely follow-up and strong organizational skills.
- TECHNICAL: Understanding of the technical aspects of product and game development. Ability to identify other business units with necessary technical knowledge and cultivate relationships.
- PLANNING / IMPLEMENTATION: Implementing projects in partnership with co-workers, global development teams, RHQ business units and global Sony divisions. Strong capability to multitask and prioritize. Ability to proactively handle shifting priorities and requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent direct work experience) and a minimum of 15-20 years of product development or related industry experience.
- Must have strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Ability to apply creative solutions within business constraints.
- Must be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to adapt to changing priorities efficiently and effectively.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills in handling complex situations with the ability to negotiate and recommend solutions.
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook or equivalent E-mail client, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Internet Explorer or equivalent Web Browser required. Familiarity with Microsoft Project, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft PowerPoint or Microsoft Visio a plus.
- Project management or product development experience in entertainment or videogame industry required.
- You must be a passionate gamer with a deep understanding of core game mechanics and the impact and influence of design decisions. strong opinions on overall quality of execution and a deep understanding for what it takes to execute at a AAA quality level is a must.
- Candidates must be proactive and willing to take direction.
- Creativity and ‘out of the box’ thinking is strongly encouraged.
Required Experience / Education:
- 8+ years of engineering and product development or equivalent / related industry experience
- Unreal Engine 5 experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (4-year college) or equivalent direct work experience
Preferred Experience / Education:
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
The estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
$139,400 — $209,000 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.