A new paradigm of computing
Magic Leap is a pioneer in spatial computing, developing groundbreaking augmented reality technology that seamlessly blends digital content with the real world. As the creator of the next computing platform, our mixed reality devices unlock new possibilities for how people interact with and experience their surroundings.
Magic Leap could be your place if you want to be part of a united team where everyone is empowered and trusted to make an impact. At Magic Leap, you can explore innovative solutions and use your talents to solve real-world problems. Working alongside industry experts, you can grow your skills and amplify human potential at the intersection of the physical and digital worlds. We know that successful change and progress accelerate diverse perspectives. As we shape our future, everyone's voice matters. Together, we can reimagine the world of work and, with our bold partners, make the impossible possible.
The Product Development and Engineering job family is the core of Magic Leap’s revolutionary AR capabilities. These highly collaborative teams are responsible for our organization's engineering and technical operations, performing cutting-edge and complex scientific research and development that is 'defined as we build' to create new AR products, features, and marketplaces. Activities include undertaking research, design, development, and implementation activities to improve Magic Leap’s AR products and services; designing, constructing, testing, and operating equipment; ensuring that standards of quality, cost, safety, reliability, timeliness, and performance are met in production processes; interpreting plans, drawings, and specifications; and collaborating across all Magic Leap teams to ensure our AR product and features provide a high-quality, immersive experience, meeting and exceeding our customer’s needs and our business objectives.
As a Sr Director, Eyepiece Design on Magic Leap's Optical Engineering team, you will be responsible for directing the activities of a team of engineers/physicists working on key optical component-level technologies to enable the next generation of our augmented reality experience. You would be expected to oversee a range of activities that include development of new eyepiece concepts, delivery of bespoke designs, continued improvement and evolution of custom simulation software, as well as strong collaboration with eyepiece process, eyepiece manufacturing, projector and wearable hardware teams.
This position is based at our site in Austin, TX.
What you'll do
- Lead Eyepiece Design team to set and achieve goals
- Guide a talented team of MS/PhD level engineers in developing leading eyepiece technology
- Drive the continued evolution of in-house custom software used in the design and simulation of our leading eyepiece technology
- Encourage innovation in eyepiece design and viewing optics
- Collaborate with engineering teams to evaluate new materials and architectures
- Optimize system performance with projector and hardware teams
- Ensure designs are manufacturable and meet customer expectations
- Oversee custom design projects, ensuring designs meet customer expectations
The experience you bring
- Minimum 10+ years of industry experience in optical components or sub-systems.
- MS or PhD in engineering optics physics or related fields. We are most interested in your total experience and professional achievements.
- Experience managing engineering teams.
- Proficiency in planning and executing development activities.
- Understanding of optical architectures in AR/MR/VR systems.
- Thorough knowledge of nano-photonics theory and simulation.
- Basic understanding of nano-fabrication and clean room processes.
- Familiarity with near-to-eye display specifications and measurement methods.
- General knowledge of scientific computing, including HPC, simulation, and Python.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, focused on delivering solutions.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with multidisciplinary groups.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.Accommodations
If you need an accommodation during the application, interviewing, or hiring process, you may request an accommodation by emailing ApplicantAccommodation@magicleap.com . Magic Leap will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note that we do not accept any application documents via (e-)mail. Furthermore, we do not accept applications from recruitment agencies for this role.