Software Engineer, R&D, Blizzard Animation - Onsite preferred but Open to Remote
18 days ago
Job Title:Software Engineer, R&D, Blizzard Animation - Onsite preferred but Open to Remote
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an inventive, motivated, and experienced Software Engineer to join our award-winning cinematics and animated short team. This is an R&D position where you will be responsible for creating software tools and workflows for production departments such as animation, lighting, rendering, simulation for all Blizzard Cinematic projects. Specifically, we are looking for a software engineer to help develop custom software tools maintain/augment existing tools to support these departments and their asset/data flow needs. We use industry standard software such as Maya, Mari, Katana, Houdini, Renderman, to create our digital environments/characters, animate them and light/render them with simulation effects. The ideal candidate needs to be fluent in software engineering practices, conversant with C++/Python, and knowledgeable about animation/lighting/rendering workflows in the VFX/animation industry. You will need to partner with the creative artists and fellow R&D /Pipeline/TD engineers to build tools that scale our production processes.
This is a full-time position in our Irvine California office but also eligible for full time remote consideration.
- Develop 3D computer graphics tools, plugins and workflows as well as maintain/extend existing software tools for production.
- Partner with production artists to understand production requirements, propose and implement software tools and follow through with testing and deployment.
- Maintain and Improve efficiencies of tools in one or more areas of production animation, lighting, rendering etc. which involve pre-rendered cinematics as well as in-game cinematics.
- Help maintain/upgrade software deployments, SDKs, development environments as they related to various dcc’s.
- Experience in the VFX/Animation industry supporting production workflows (animation, simulation, simulation, 3D lighting/rendering, etc.) is preferred, though under exceptional cases, experience may be substituted for Advanced College degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) provided the coursework or thesis work demonstrates expertise focused on 3D computer graphics technologies related to this job description.
- Solid 3D math foundation (comfortable with 3D transformations & 3D operations).
- Demonstrated programming experience in C++ and Python. Ability to extend commercial C++/Python APIs for standard industry software such as Katana, Maya or Houdini.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Passion for programming and software development on linux & windows.
- Production experience with VFX or animation pipelines for movies/games with software tools developed in – Maya, Katana, Renderman, Houdini or similar.
- Familiarity with any common vfx platform libraries – openEXR, OpenVDB, Alembic, USD.
- An understanding of how technology empowers artists.
Job Status: Fulltime/Staff
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
Blizzard Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against based on disability.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.