Software Engineer, Game Services Core
15 days ago
Job Title:Software Engineer, Game Services Core
Senior Software Engineer, Game Services Core
The Battle.net Game Services Core team provides the technology used by other teams to build dozens of critically meaningful services which power the Battle.net global in-game social network, player management services, and common game utilities for Activision Blizzard titles. Our mission is to enable developers to produce high-performance scalable services quickly & with quality, so they can focus on creating features that unlock the greatness of gaming together.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5 years of proven experience with software development in C++
- Experience building high-performance distributed systems and client/server applications
- Strong data-structure, logic, and algorithm skills
- Experience with Linux development, GDB debugging, and command line tools
- Experience with Windows application or service development
- Self-motivated and able to break down sophisticated tasks
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with a specialization in Software Engineering
- 7 years of proven experience with software development in C++, including C++17 or later
- Familiar with at least one scripting language such as Python.
- Experience with Functional Programming through Rust, OCaml, Scala, F#, or Haskell
- Experience with Cloud development and infrastructure
- Experience working with large-volume, low-latency message systems such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, MQTT, NATS, TIBCO Messaging, etc.
- Solid understanding of MySql, Cassandra, Redis, or related relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience supporting a live always-on service
- Familiarity with the architectures and underlying technologies which drive large social networks, such as Battle.net, etc.
- A passion for video games and technology
About the Role
You will join a tight-knit Empowered Product Team that develops scalable, highly performant and highly available global game services. This role focuses on building and improving the core platform which powers player social and game systems, as used by studios across Activision and Blizzard and daily by millions of players concurrently. This team is the lynchpin of Battle.net player systems and you will be involved in some fashion on every major release!
Candidates must work well on a team, have an interest in developing large distributed systems with a strong focus on server-side C++, and exhibit a passion for creating core technology used by other engineers.
- Contribute to the development of architecture, technology, frameworks, and libraries (our core platform) which facilitate the authoring, deployment, and operation of scalable, highly performant, and highly available distributed services
- Adhere to established coding standards & development practices, maintain efficient coding practices, and produce clean code that works
- Perform research to discover new, enabling technologies and acquire knowledge vital to complete work you're leading
- Create technical design documents and other artifacts
- Participate in code & design reviews
- Mentor junior engineers and participate in code & design reviews
- Participate in on-call rotation to rapidly resolve live incidents related to our systems
- Collaborate with teams building on the core platform
- Work with Site Reliability Engineering to optimize CI/CD service containerization, deployment, and autoscaling
- Work with IT on optimizing internal and external cloud infrastructure
- Focus on outcomes, rather than output
- Uphold and promote the Blizzard Core Values
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.