Senior World Artist, World of Warcraft | Boston, MA
18 days ago
Team Name:World of Warcraft
Job Title:Senior World Artist, World of Warcraft | Boston, MA
As a World Artist on World of Warcraft, you will participate in the creation of all types of spaces, ranging from exterior zones, dungeons, raids, arenas, battlegrounds and more, working closely with our World Artists and World Builders to establish the look and feel of levels, and take block-outs to final art polish. The ideal candidate has a thorough understanding of environment art and world-building, makes immersive work in a hand-painted style, has a strong sense of composition and visual storytelling, is a patient and empathetic communicator, and loves taking initiative on projects.
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The home studio for this role is Boston, MA.
What you bring to the table
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Art Directors and Leads, Designers, and other artists to shape world art that successfully supports WoW level flow & navigation, visual storytelling, and questing experiences
- Help build our epic world with your environmental composition, terrain sculpting and painting, asset placement, and lighting skills
- Beautify areas with a focus on composition and mood to engage players’ curiosity
- Optimize your content so it can be enjoyed by as many players as possible, within agreed-upon production schedules and with minimal direction.
- Communicate with Producers to maintain clear and consistent goals
- Incorporate feedback to iterate on project visual direction.
- Ensure that art assets are being used as they are intended and to the best possible effect
- Build art demo areas for exterior world environments
- Be a strong force in upholding a welcoming and respectful atmosphere for collaboration, communication, and creativity, with an emphasis on the values of diversity and inclusion
- 5+ years of experience with the Environment Art/World-building/asset implementation side of game development
- Experience with technology, terminology, and techniques of game art development, including an awareness of design and programming considerations.
- Experience working in an iterative, agile environment.
Knowledge & Skills
- Portfolio examples that show a strong understanding of space, form, color, composition, and light
- An understanding of how level art can serve to enhance design goals
- Can be relied upon to quickly learn new processes and software as needed.
- Self-directed, enthusiastic, positive, embraces critiques.
- Understands the audience and appreciates games
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a comprehensive benefits package to promote health and wellness along with financial security. Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Wellness program, free and discounted games, and voluntary supplemental life;
If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting our benefits page.In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $80,800.00 - $149,400.00 Annual. These values reflect the expected base pay range of new hires across all U.S. locations. Ultimately, your specific range and offer will be based on several factors, including relevant experience, performance, and work location. Your Talent Professional can share this role’s range details for your local geography during the hiring process. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.