Senior Virtual Production Engineer
20 days ago
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Senior Virtual Production Engineer
Epic Games is looking for Senior Virtual Production Engineer(s) dedicated to growing Unreal Engine’s Virtual Production capabilities, helping build a better future for both the games and
media / entertainment industries. A Senior Virtual Production Engineer will apply knowledge of Virtual Production technologies and production practices to push the boundaries of what is
possible in Unreal Engine.
- Work to advance the state-of-the-art in Virtual Production using real-time tools and technologies. Debug, review and analyze minor and major issues including but not limited to bugs, crashes, and runtime performance challenges.
- Provide virtual production knowledge and experience to educate and inform internal development decisions.
- Autonomously architect and implement systems, owning the vision from inception through completion.
- Work with several stakeholders (both internal and external to Epic) on a single initiative, to identify development requirements.
- Work with performance capture technicians to identify, implement, and improve the capture process within Unreal Engine and the Epic ecosystem.
- Work with the special projects team and other internal stakeholders to deliver high-profile linear and real-time experiences.
- Write well documented and optimized code for fixes, feature work, code reviews and other development oriented tasks.
- Integrate, emulate, and improve upon traditional film making processes in Unreal Engine, involving, but not limited to, virtual scouting, virtual cameras, and various analog-to-digital control devices.
- Provide on-set support for creatives and technicians using Unreal Engine in their media / entertainment productions.
Must have at least a Bachelor's degree in Computer Sciences, Math Sciences, or closely related equivalent which covers computer science principles as part of its core curriculum.
Must have experience:
- driving development project(s) – sourcing requirements, forming a development plan, and executing/delivering on it.
- On at least one project working with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external, building consensus around development initiatives.
- Have shipped 4 high-quality commercial real-time interactive experiences (demos, games, etc.).
Applicant must have at least four (4) years of progressive experience in ALL of the following:
- Writing and debugging C++, C#, and Python applications.
- With Unreal Engine or alternative real-time engine technology.
- With the performance capture process, its systems (Vicon, Optitrak, Xsens), and related software (such as Blade, MotionBuilder, or Shogun).
- Developing animation technologies such as rigging, retargeting, physics-based animation and/or IK.
- With production sync systems using timecode and genlock.
In addition, must have at least three (3) years of experience with the following:
- Integrating real-time software with traditional filmmaking equipment such as focus controllers, hand wheels, and dolly tracks.
- Developing virtual camera systems.
- Have served as an engineer or technician on one or more major movie/TV productions.
To perform duties of the position, employees must travel approximately 1 week every 2 months to work with on-stage technicians, diagnosing problems, understanding workflows, and training them as needed.
Applicants must pass a programming test.
Multiple Openings for this position.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.