Senior UX Designer
13 days ago
Who We Are
OtherSide Entertainment is an independent game studio with remote staff throughout North America. Our mission is to create deeply immersive games that draw players into richly imagined worlds; games that empower players to choose their own play-style, making their experience unique and personal; games that encourage players to team up with their friends and weave their own shared narrative; the kind of games that are powered by our players’ vision as much as our own. Together, we aim to evolve the “player-authored” tradition of Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief, and Deus Ex – all games developed by the company’s founders, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector.
We’re hiring a Senior UX Designer to spearhead the development of UX flow and stand-up UX validation approaches for a new, open-world sandbox game from the mind of Warren Spector, working closely with our design, art, and engineering teams to identify needs and define best practices for our UI/UX goals. The successful candidate will approach each problem with strong design skills, a flair for visuals, and consideration for the player’s experience in how they approach the interface.
- Define UX deliverables by clearly outlining usability and flow through documents, concepts, layouts, visual mock-ups, and prototypes.
- Work within Unreal Engine to develop and create placeholder UI elements and visuals for menus, HUD, character progression, and more using Unreal Motion Graphics (UMG) and Blueprints
- Gather feedback for your features and develop solutions to problems identified by the team.
- Champion best practices regarding UI visuals, UX flow, file organization, asset standards, and modularity of UI components.
- Guide and provide feedback on UI system architecture.
- Minimum of 5 years:
- Designing, documenting, and presenting UX treatments to a professional team.
- Implementing UI in Unreal using Unreal Motion Graphic and Blueprint
- Advocating for UX best practices using current industry standards.
- Testing and validating UX against real users using various methodologies.
- Drive and passion for working on complex problems with a team of dedicated professionals.
- The ability to take the reins and drive the design, implementation, debugging, and polishing of the game’s UI/UX treatment.
- Shipped title(s) in Unreal Engine.
- Passion for PC and console games.
Key Bonus Experience
- Motion graphics and animation proficiency.
- Deep understanding of immersive sims
- Strong knowledge of diegetic UI systems
Our people-first approach to game development celebrates diversity and strives to create a safe and inclusive working environment where everyone is treated equally, with dignity, and with respect. We highly encourage candidates from diverse and under-represented backgrounds to apply, even those that may not directly meet every qualification listed for this role.
This is a full-time, remote working role, with competitive compensation and a full suite of benefits available anywhere in the United States. All team members may be asked to occasionally travel for key meetings, as part of their job responsibilities. We're required to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. Compensation decisions are dependent on the unique facts and circumstances of each case, but a reasonable estimate of the current base salary range for this role $90,000 - $130,000.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
We review and update our salary range bands at OtherSide Entertainment on an annual basis to provide transparency to the expected base salary ranges on our job posts externally as well as internally. Most in-house employee roles also include discretionary variable bonus compensation as well as long-term incentive. Our recruiter will share more details about bonus and LTI for this role in your screening or throughout your interview process as it becomes available. Final compensation determinations are dependent on the unique facts and circumstances of each case and will take into account a wide variety of factors, including but not limited to skill, qualifications, accomplishments, experience, credentials, and business needs. We look forward to and welcome discussion on this topic at any time during the interview process.
OtherSide Entertainment is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us.