Senior Tools Engineer, Game Studio
24 days ago
ABOUT OUR TEAM
We’re a group of developers, artists, and storytellers who make games full of wonder, danger, and humor. Everyone at our studio, whether an industry vet or a new voice, impacts each game through collaborative feedback, mutual respect, and creative empowerment. If you want to make games leave a meaningful impact on players, we want to hear from you.
We’re looking for new teammates who deeply care about their work, the stories they tell, and the people they create with. As part of the Netflix team, we strive to hire the best and value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
ENGINEERING AT NIGHT SCHOOL
Software development is just as creative as other roles at Night School. Our engineering team highly values cross-disciplinary thinking. Creating great gameplay experiences requires engineers to imagine elegant, extensible, and optimized systems and appreciate, communicate, and integrate with art, design, and narrative. Here, you’ll flex your ingenuity and skill in multiple areas as needs arise, whether directly in our games, as part of a development support system, or as part of our in-house storytelling toolset, NightTools.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We seek a talented and driven tools engineer to create and drive tools for our various projects. You’ll work with our Art, Design, and Engineering teams to identify workflow inefficiencies, pain points, and problems in our development process. With the team and other tools engineers, you’ll create solutions, weigh tradeoffs given the project goals and development schedule, implement the chosen solution, and support the team's adoption. We want someone who is not only an excellent engineer with both breadth and depth of technical skills but also demonstrates a deep understanding of game development and a drive to iterate and improve our workflows. You’ll be working with and contributing to our shared tools and technology systems, using them to provide quality-of-life improvements for our creative teams.
- Plan, design, and build tools and pipelines for our projects to empower users to do their best work
- Own the maintenance, rollout, and documentation of these tools
- Research workflows and learn from peers to inform new iterations and features
- Educate new and existing team members on workflow and tool updates
- Manage contributions from other engineers via feature and code reviews
- Driven to build and maintain industry-leading tools that make telling stories intuitive and fun
- Writes code that is elegant, extensible, and optimized
- Balances simplicity, flexibility, and scalability in UX and interface design
- Excels at giving and receiving quality critique and feedback
- Self-starter willing to seek out problems and find solutions
- Mindful of the needs of a team as individuals and as a whole
Skills & Requirements:
- High proficiency with Unity, including a deep understanding of editor tools and extensions
- Advanced-level skills in C#
- Works effectively in a self-directed environment
- Communicates effectively with other team members
- Experience with git and build automation
- BONUS: Experience with branching narrative game development
- BONUS: Web development experience
Our compensation structure consists solely of an annual salary; we do not have bonuses. You choose each year how much of your compensation you want in salary versus stock options. To determine your personal top of market compensation, we rely on market indicators and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to determine your compensation in the market range. The range for this role is $90,000 - $600,000.
Netflix provides comprehensive benefits including Health Plans, Mental Health support, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match, Stock Option Program, Disability Programs, Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts, Family-forming benefits, and Life and Serious Injury Benefits. We also offer paid leave of absence programs. Full-time hourly employees accrue 35 days annually for paid time off to be used for vacation, holidays, and sick paid time off. Full-time salaried employees are immediately entitled to flexible time off. See more detail about our Benefits here
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here