Senior Technical UI Artist - DUNE
8 days ago
From critically acclaimed The Longest Journey to the very first sci-fi MMO Anarchy Online, to the brutal trials of Conan Exiles, our 29-year history has set our players uniquely up for a journey to the harsh world of Dune, where the continual battle for survival and spice will bring a challenge that is Legendary.
The Funcom team consists of over 300 people located in 5 studios - Norway, the US, Portugal, Sweden, and Romania - plus an additional UI/UX hub in the UK.
As part of Funcom’s ongoing growth, and completing a successful turnaround, Funcom is now backed by Tencent, the largest online gaming company in the world!
Your Mission in Funcom
As a Technical UI Artist, you will be communicating with all art disciplines to resolve issues, prototype new systems and develop new tools to support the teams. Alongside this, you will handle a diverse range of tasks including workflow processes, tools, prototyping, documentation, and performance.
In this role you are an adaptable Technical Artist, always ready for a new challenge and have a strong proactiveness for solving problems within the pipeline that arise.
How you can have an impact in your position:
- Work closely with each of the various Art, UI and Programming departments to effectively create UI visuals, both through R+D tests and full implementations
- Support development efforts with recommendations across the teams to ensure a consistency of technical execution and visuals in-line with the Art and UI/UX Directors goals
- Create and improve various scripts, assets + pipelines for UI production, alongside troubleshooting asset-related technical issues that arise
- Write and maintain technical documentation to support your own developments, as well as other project-wide implementations and pipelines
- Checking assets in terms of technical setup and usage within the engine
- Build with consistency and efficiency in mind, to ensure a high standard throughout the games UI, including using profiling tools to find problems
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the latest next-gen industry standards
We are looking for someone that has:
- Minimum 1-year commercial production experience in a Technical Art role
- Good understanding of latest games art fundamentals of rendering, materials, lighting, post- processing, and pipeline developments
- Knowledge & experience with Max/Maya/Substance/Photoshop and/or other 3D software packages
- Proficiency with pipeline scripting (Python/ MAXscript /MEL)
- Good communication , self-driven organization, and time management skills with the ability to help mentor your colleagues.
- Bachelor/Undergraduate degree or equivalent
In addition, the perfect candidate has:
- Familiarity with UE4 with UMG and UI Materials familiarity (plus examples)
- Prior experience of UI creation and implementation
- Experience with programming languages such as C++ / C#
- Keen interest in playing games and game development beyond art
We evaluate candidates on an ongoing basis and recommend candidates to apply as soon as possible!
We are a Scandinavian company and follow Scandinavian work values. For you, that means a flat structure in which you can thrive, be yourself, leave a mark in the studio and become an ambassador for our company values. We focus on Agile/Scrum methodology, and heavily value the importance of work-life balance in employee culture. Funcom values close-knit, collaborative individuals who crave creative ownership, a drive for constructive input, and a never-ending pursuit of evolution and quality.
Working at Funcom offers a flexible working schedule, relocation assistance, pension plan, healthcare package, social Fridays, and a long list of other benefits. Even more: working at Funcom means being part of a family of kind, skilled and professional colleagues that share a passion for games!
We have a dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work culture, with a basis of continued training and career development opportunities. Come join us in a friendly environment of enthusiastic professionals willing to go the extra mile to deliver world-class games.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.