Senior Technical Sound Designer - Insomniac Games
16 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Are you interested in becoming a Senior member of our audio team? If so, read on! The Senior Technical Audio Designer at Insomniac Games is responsible for coordinating and completing tasks related to technical audio implementation, scripting and audio pipeline efficiencies utilizing game engine and Wwise middleware to improve the overall quality level of immersive audio in games. This role works closely with the Audio Designers, Audio Leads, Design and Core teams to design and develop systems that increase workflow productivity and allow maximum audio creativity and quality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Builds, manages, and is responsible for a variety of audio systems to optimize and refine audio pipelines across all projects.
• Establishes and documents best practices for technical audio workflows for implementation across studio.
• Ensures sound effects meet technical requirements- including voice channel limits, memory management, prioritization, etc.
• Acts as an advocate with Core and other cross-discipline members of the development team to identify and develop strategies for implementing sound effects that yield highest quality results
• Identifies, investigates, and oversees the resolution of technical sound effect bugs during all stages of production
• Adept at mixing game sound effects and contributes to technical elements of final sound design mix
• Able to perform advanced scripting using visual scripting tools.
• Conceptualizes, creates, and implements unique sound effects that match the style and tone for game.
• Communicates progress toward goals on a regular basis with audio directors, audio leads and project managers.
• Represents technical audio as needed, in production meetings
• Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Focus on experience in technical sound effect design, creation, mixing, processing and implementation or computer game product development experience and delivery of a AAA game in an Audio/Sound role, a plus.
• Advanced, in-depth experience with Wwise and Audio Plug-Ins is a must
• Proficient with multitrack project mixing software/hardware and session set-up (Avid Pro Tools and Reaper experience preferred)
• Proficient with mixing stereo and surround sound formats
• Proficient with PC-based sample editors (Sound Forge)
• Knowledgeable with both PC and Mac-based operating systems
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Experience with Python, Lua, C++ or visual scripting languages (aka blueprints) a plus
• Thoroughly understands the foundations of dynamic, frequency, and time-based effects as well as audio synthesis
• Thorough understanding of audio compression technologies and surround sound formats
• Emphasis in sound effect and dialogue mixing and post-production work
• Emphasis on microphone placement, operation and recording
• Basic understanding of audio physics principles
• Strong written and verbal communication skills required
• Must be able to present ideas clearly and work well within a large team environment
• Film or television production/location recording experience preferred
• Understanding of music/ playing an instrument is a plus
Thank you for considering Insomniac and our audio team, we look forward to reviewing your submissions! Please be sure to include your reel / website so we can review work samples as part of your application.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information , including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information , including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.