Senior Technical Animator
12 days ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We have an unmissable opportunity for a highly creative Senior Technical Animator to join our Sheffield studio where you will have the opportunity to showcase and grow your skills within a seasoned and proven team. You need to have a wealth of experience and impressive track record backed up by a body of work demonstrating your highly creative approach. A strong ability to produce polished rigs, animation and character pipelines that are world class is essential. You will need to clearly demonstrate experience in setting up and managing character behaviour graphs and in working with code and design to achieve solid and engaging player experiences. Strong scripting skills and examples of problem solving are also essential. Experience using Unreal/Unity and Maya is an advantage.
Within this role you will:
- Develop, manage and maintain a class leading character pipeline.
- Work with code and design to achieve a solid and engaging player experiences.
- Exhibit a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of animation as they apply to the animation design.
- Assist in Lead responsibilities such as mentoring, scheduling and R&D into new features.
- Contribute to the conceptualization of character behaviours and abilities.
- Provide detailed input during the character creation process, from concept to modelling to final rigging, identifying character performance and functionality requirements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the pipelines and procedures within the project as a whole.
We need you to have:
- At least 4 years of industry experience animating characters for console and/or PC games with a minimum of 1 published game.
- Evidence of previous games completed in a senior technical animation role.
- A strong demo reel that adequately reflects this experience.
- Solid knowledge of Maya and/or 3DstudioMax.
- Scripting vial mel, MaxScript or Python.
- Thorough understanding of animation fundamentals for human and non-human characters.
- Understanding of character creation process from concept, to modelling and final rigging.
- Demonstrable experience in creating animation of a high standard while maintaining visual and functional specifications for game mechanics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus
· Share Incentive Plan
· Competitive Pension
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
· 5 Learning Days
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
· Game & Book Libraries
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Big Family Events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
· Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
· Employee Assistance Programme
· Life Assurance 4x Salary
· Income Protection of 75%
· Relocation Support to the UK
· Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.