Senior Software Engineer, Products
6 months ago
Job Title:Senior Software Engineer, Products
Want to be responsible for the awesome gaming experience of hundreds of millions of players? How about building a scalable platform that enables key revenue-driving and player engagement features in world-renowned games?
We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join up with the development team in Vancouver that designs, builds, runs, and evolves our in-game social, progression, rewards, and monetization services platforms for the Call of Duty franchise and other popular Activision titles.
The Products department is responsible for the online services product suite that serves the Call of Duty franchise and Activision’s other major titles. We work closely with title project teams at Demonware and the studios to make sure they have the features they need for their upcoming games. We chart a long-term vision for these products to provide the capabilities that enable Activision's game studios to focus on building the best games in the world.
If you’re excited about working with technologies for low-latency, large scale systems in a collaborative environment then we’d love to hear from you!
In this role, you will:
- Design and build highly-scalable services using open-source technologies to deliver key progression, rewards, monetization, and social game features.
- Demonstrate a customer-focused mindset, keeping the success of our game studio partners and an excellent player experience front and center at all times.
- Be a contributing member of the worldwide Demonware software development community.
- Build innovative and scalable services.
- Be an essential part of a full-service, cross-disciplinary software development team, participating in all stages of the development process: technical design, prototyping, peer reviews, testing, production deployment, and sustainment.
- Investigate and resolve problems at scale for our mission-critical services, contribute to root cause analysis efforts and help the team implement fixes and apply what we’ve learned to prevent recurring issues.
- Share comprehensive design feedback in the development of new services and service architecture, both with your own team members and with other teams across the company.
- Build long-term working relationships with Senior Online Engineers, Technical Directors, and Producers across Activision’s game studios.
- Influence our software development community and strengthen the culture of service ownership at Demonware.
- Engage in mentoring more junior team members to level up this mindset in other engineers.
- 6+ years relevant work experience
- Expertise in designing and building software for services platforms
- Excellence in writing and reviewing code, preferably in Python
- Experience building applications that use MySQL, Cassandra, and/or Redis
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing frameworks
- Experience delivering within Scrum/Agile development methodologies
- Experience working in a business-critical production environment
- Experience implementing robust service orchestration
- Experience working with high-volume, consumer-facing applications
- Experience with load testing and performance optimization best practices
- Experience working with VMs, Linux containers, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Experience working in game economy or social networks
- Instincts for an investigative approach and a curiosity to apply new technologies
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and requirements
- Ownership of initiatives from inception through deployment and sustainment
- Excellence in proactive, open-minded collaboration across teams
What Demonware Offers:
Relocation Support, 25 days of vacation, RRSP matching program and top-tier medical, dental and life insurance coverage for you and your dependents and perks.
Demonware is an independently-run part of Activision Blizzard. We run every part of the players’ online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to climbing the leaderboards, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Crash Bandicoot and Skylanders.
The work we do together every day impacts almost half a billion players around the world. We solve big company challenges with a small company feel. We are technology-driven with a culture of openness. This means collaborating to solve interesting challenges, enjoying the freedom to talk to anyone, and always feeling respected. We take the work seriously; ourselves, not so much.