Senior Quest Designer [Avatar Project]
1 month ago
As part of the Avatar Project, you’ll play an instrumental role in bringing to life the beautiful and dangerous world of Pandora. This is a unique opportunity to keep growing your experience in games while working hand-in-hand with Disney’s creative minds and James Cameron’s production company, Lightstorm Entertainment.
As a Senior Quest (Narrative) Designer at Massive Entertainment you'll have one foot in narrative and the other in design, you’ll bridge the gap between systems, UX, and are ultimately responsible for the player’s interaction with our story. Working with a diverse Narrative team and in collaboration with multidisciplinary game designers, you’ll be responsible for the holistic design of narrative systems, pipelines for content, and the practical implementation of the story.
This is a permanent position based in Malmö, Sweden, and requires working onsite. We kindly ask you to apply with your CV and message to the hiring manager/cover letter in English. Applications will be reviewed whilst the job-ad is posted.
- Designing, writing and implementing narrative gameplay content
- Collaborating with the Mission Director, Lead Writer, your Narrative colleagues, and both Game & Level Designers to develop innovative quests that flow with the overall game
- Crafting narrative structure, creating and maintaining scripts/scenes for controlling various game elements
- Identifying blockers to your design ideas and communicating with the appropriate teams to see if they're possible to implement (New Gameplay, AI, Cameras, Audio, Text, Objectives etc.)
- Constantly evaluating the accessibility, ease of understanding, and level of difficulty for your designs
- Participating in the development of tools and technology to improve the narrative workflow
- Mentoring junior narrative designers
You’re a combination of storyteller and designer but you're stronger with technical implementation and ideally, visual scripting. You've shipped one or more major/AAA Game projects and you managed to overcome all the challenges that come with this, ready to utilize your new-found knowledge and apply it to our unique challenge on the Avatar project, and to help mentor your junior colleagues. You have a passion for interactive storytelling and an excellent understanding of the English language (our company language).
Besides the above we’re looking for someone aligned withour core valuesand the following skills and experience:
- A relevant portfolio of your work/content is required (ideally a showreel);
- Several years of Narrative/Quest Design experience from within the video game industry;
(Ideally, you have more than 5-years' experience)
- Previous experience with multiple AAA productions from concept through release;
(Ideally you have credits on at least 2 major titles)
- Experience with linear & non-linear narrative structures;
- Understanding of the technical constraints regarding narrative design implementation, on current-gen consoles, PC, and therefore, the ability to accurately predict task duration and understand dependencies;
- Ideally, you have experience with multiple Game Engines (i.e. Snowdrop, Unity or Unreal) and scripting language systems.
Good to know
We aim to build a team that continuously pushes the boundaries of what’s possible in game development, and because we love to learn and grow from the people around us, we might ask you to complete a practical test as a part of the recruitment process.
We look forward to receiving your application and learning more about you. Meanwhile, please check out the videos posted below, our portfolio tips, and our employee perks here, to gain greater insight into life at Massive.
Longing to be part of a fun, creative and passionate workplace? We can offer you this and more in an open and friendly environment where you will work with some of the best craftsmen in the industry. Are you up for it? Come aboard for the ride!
Massive Entertainment is a premier producer of games and interactive entertainment for the global market. The studio is located in Malmö, Sweden and fully owned by Ubisoft, the world’s third largest independent video game publisher. We are more than 650 people from 45+ different countries working together to produce major titles such as World in Conflict, Far Cry 3, Tom Clancy’s The Division and our latest Avatar Project.
We value diversity at Massive, promote a family-friendly culture and a gender-balanced work environment, where equal opportunities play a meaningful role in the day-to-day operations of our studio.
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery.
At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create experiences and brands people will fall in love with.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.