Senior Mobile Engineer
6 months ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Building Our SDK
Our team continuously strives to create engaging, innovative, and exciting game play for our players. We believe our platform is the future of competitive multiplayer, and we do everything in our power to make that future a reality. Are you an Apple fan? Do you love your Android phone? Either way, you’ll quickly become comfortable working with both platforms here.
We spend most of our time working in a React Native stack, but we embrace the chance to dive into native technologies as well. You'll work with player chat, our friends system, game play video streaming, over-the-air deploys, real-time matchmaking and synchronous game play support. As an SDK team member, you’ll be learning and working with many of these technologies, and their related tech stacks.
Producing a cross platform SDK is a hard thing to do. Our team is excited by these challenges, and takes them head-on. When we come up against a difficult problem, or a new technology, we make it our mission to forge a path to success. We take pride in being able to plan, estimate, and deliver complex asks on time, and consider our work a reflection of ourselves.
Does this sound exciting? Do you want to push yourself to new heights? If you’re bored when you’re not being challenged, then we want to meet you!
What you'll do:
- Become an expert and mentor in our fully cross platform iOS/Android development environment.
- Collaborate with teammates who care about building phenomenal products as much as you do.
- Design, plan and implement player facing features designed and defined by our world-class Product team.
- Work with a variety of powerful mobile technologies and languages, including video streaming, player chat, real-time game play, and over the air deploys.
- Ship new SDK releases to the iOS App Store, and Samsung Galaxy Apps via our in-house games.
- Take responsibility for the stability and quality of the features you build, and assist in rolling them out to our developers.
- Deploy continuously-integrated over-the-air updates containing all the amazing work you’ve built to thousands of games and millions of players, instantly.
- Cultivate our diverse player base, currently over 18 million players, more than half of which are women.
What you’ll need:
- Meaningful mobile development experience in either iOS or Android.
- Strong desire to learn and use new languages and technologies.
- Strong organization, and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with different departments to understand product requirements and write technical specifications.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.