Senior Lighting Artist
18 days ago
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented and experienced Lighting Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to take charge of a team of lighting artists and oversee the quality of results and productivity of the team for one of our cinematic games. You’ll need both a high-level technical understanding of real time lighting workflows and a well-developed, cultured artistic eye to be successful in the role. The role will require you to be a figurehead of the team, ensuring that the correct workflows are being adhered to and giving artistic mentoring and guidance where needed. You will also need to be comfortable encouraging and motivating a team to ensure tasks are completed in the scheduled time, as well as working closely with counterparts in the technical departments to ensure that efficiency and budget goals are met.
Key skills and Responsibilities:
The main and routine tasks of this position are:
- Working with the Art Director to fully understand the visual style and visual goals for the project.
- Ensuring the work done on the team meets these goals by working closely with the artists, reviewing their work and offering artistic guidance when needed.
- Working with Production departments to set project timeframes by accurately accessing how long lighting tasks will take.
- Ensuring that the team is able to meet project goals in the scheduled time and stays motivated to achieve great results.
- Working with the Technical department to ensure lighting work is within budget and maintains performance goals.
- Being able to lead by example when needed, and producing amazing work to inspire the team
- At least 5 years of experience as a lighting artist, or equivalent senior artist role, working on at least one AAA title.
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of lighting in either real-time gaming engines or in high-end CGI productions.
- Strong technical understanding of real time rendering processes in modern game engines.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates your ability as an artist.
- A proven track record of being an effective leader in an art discipline
- Baked and real-time lighting techniques in modern game engines.
- Good understanding of the theory and application of Composition
- Thorough knowledge of colour theory, and its use in emotional storytelling
- A keen interest in cinematography and the language of film
- Unreal Engine, or similar (UNITY, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.)
- Maya, or equivalent 3D modelling package
- A working knowledge of rendering engines such as Renderman, VRay, Mental Ray or Arnold would be useful.
The candidate should have:
- A drive to constantly push art quality and try out new ideas.
- A highly positive and proactive work ethic.
- A willingness to take full ownership of your area of responsibility
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
To enjoy working at Supermassive you also need to be:
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Always striving for quality
- Creative and innovative
Why join us?
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- We make big games with small teams - you will play a full and active role
- Challenging and rewarding projects as standard
- 25 days annual leave
- Private health insurance
- Life assurance x6 time annual salary
- Quarterly profit related bonus scheme
- Social events - including large summer party
- Constantly improving tools and workflow so you can focus on creativity
- Fast decision-making allows good ideas to flourish
- We celebrate and nurture talent
- Our supportive, inclusive and friendly team culture is something we are proud of
- Work-life balance is something we respect and protect
- Ultimately, you’ll work on the cutting edge - making innovative and immersive games