Senior Level Designer
13 days ago
Phoenix Labs is looking for a Senior Level Designer to join one of our new game initiatives in our Vancouver studio.
This person will work directly on a new IP and will work with the design and artistic teams to identify, design and implement visually inspiring and fun game spaces for the player to explore. They will thrive on feedback and iteration, continually striving to improve their levels and their craft to achieve the best results. They have a proven track record of designing and developing game spaces and world building for a variety of titles.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment. We pride ourselves on our ability to continuously improve and do hard things. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
Applicants must live or be willing to relocate to within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Ideate and steward the design of multiple levels from conception to the final stages of polish.
- Pitch, design, prototype, implement, and iterate levels and game spaces using a wide range of tools.
- Partner with engineering to design and create a vision for the future of our Level Creation Pipeline.
- Regularly collaborate with artists to integrate art assets into a beautiful interactive experience.
- Ensure the levels correctly afford and allow for players to make meaningful choices as they navigate through a space.
- Leverages good design principles to create clear visual language, such as line of sight, to orchestrate player choices.
- Collaborate with the other game designers to ensure the games systems are well represented in the player’s choices.
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- Extensive experience in professional level design.
- Strong sensibility for the core components that make a level both beautiful and fun.
- Deep experience and proficiency in designing and implementing playable levels.
- Excellent cross-discipline communication skills.
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ game.
- Working knowledge of Unreal4, with experience creating and editing blueprints.
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
- Comfort with mocking up designs in a variety of layout tools
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.
Phoenix Labs is headquartered in Vancouver, BC, with studios in Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.
Learn more about our values->