Senior Hard Surface Concept Artist
The Gearbox Entertainment Company is an award-winning creator and distributor of entertainment for people around the world. Gearbox Entertainment develops and publishes products through its subsidiaries, Gearbox Software and Gearbox Publishing. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises including Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld. Gearbox’s ambition is to entertain the world and its key driving objectives include the pursuit of happiness for our talent, partners and customers, the prioritization of entertainment and creativity and a measured respect for profitability. For more information, visit www.Gearbox.com .
We are currently looking for a Senior Hard Surface Concept Artist to create artwork for upcoming projects! In this role, you will define or work within a specific art style to craft AAA-quality hard surface designs. Artists must have a proficiency in creating designs for vehicles, props, weapons, and other hard surface related material.
The hard surface concept artist role requires a strong sense of creative & design aesthetics. Working closely with the Art Director, Concept lead, and design teams, you must demonstrate you can be forward thinking and turn an exciting gameplay experience into an awesome visual experience!
- Craft visual concepts for Vehicles, Weapons, Props and Architecture
- Provide initial ideas rapidly with rough thumbnails, quickly moving through the ideation process
- Work to establish and modify complex weapon modification systems
- Execute fully realized and rendered illustrations and designs
- 5+ years’ experience in conceptual design desirable
- Demonstrate expertise in illustrating weapons, vehicles, props, and architectural pieces in different settings (Sci-fi, fantasy, stylized, etc.)
- Strong understanding of design principles in a variety of media
- 3D experience would be beneficial (Maya, Zbrush, Blender, 3DS)
- Comfortable receiving or giving critiques
- Strong grasp of perspective, rendering, color theory, line and form
- Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills
- Ability to balance technical function, aesthetics, and creativity
- Ability to develop within game design constraints and turn those restrictions into exciting visuals that improve the experience
- Strong understanding of content creation from start to finish. Creating concept images, spec sheets and call outs for content artists, level artists, and animators to build from
- Willingness to mentor team members
- Be passionate about games and play them regularly, everyone at Gearbox is a game creator and you must play them to make them!
Gearbox Entertainment believes that all team members should be able to enjoy a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and harassment. We are committed to reflecting the diversity of the world we strive to entertain. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we provide fair and equal treatment to all team members and applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.