Senior Gameplay/UI Software Engineer (Python, C++) *The Sims*
14 days ago
At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking. It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're trailblazers and great storytellers. But it's not just about amazing your peers – it's about amazing yourself and our fans. Take risks. Work with dazzling minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day. The Sims 4 has an extremely unique player base, with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
You will report to a Development Director. As a Gameplay Software Engineer on The Sims, your job will be to develop user-facing content for The Sims.
- You will use Python, C++ and ActionScript 3 to implement data-driven gameplay and UI systems.
- You will create new Sim behaviors: interaction with the world, other Sims, and objects.
- You will build creative aspects of real life within a simulation game (e.g. socialization, careers, weather).
- You will work with designers, producers, artists, and other engineers on improving the data-driven framework that brings designs to life.
- You will write technical design documents detailing software requirements.
- You will build unique content for a game that supports a large demographic of simulation player patterns.
- You will write code with performance and memory usage in mind.
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills under iteratively changing requirements during development.
- Bachelor/Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field.
- 5+ years experience in a hands-on development role.
- Demonstrate technical abilities with projects implemented in C++ or Python.
- Experience with Windows platform and development tools (e.g. Visual Studio or other programming IDEs).
- Experience optimizing existing game code to be more performant.
- Previous engineering experience building a major system.
- Demonstrate experience working in large data-driven games or applications.
- Experience developing for large-scale live products.
- Experience using static and performance analysis tools, automated testing, unit testing, and configuration management processes.