Senior Game Systems Designer
12 days ago
Amazon Game Studios is seeking a Senior Game Systems Designer to join our team in sunny San Diego, CA. This designer will work with our Creative Director to design the captivating game systems and content that drive exciting and dynamic game play for an unannounced massively multiplayer game.
You have a proven track record designing and balancing game systems. You have knowledge of game design theory and tools pipelines. You possess strong communication skills and production sensibilities. You have the talent to produce and implement high quality work. You want to create delightful and surprising experiences for our players. You are able to work independently and are comfortable taking direction. You’ll share your knowledge while working within a highly collaborative, multidisciplinary team of designers, artists, and programmers as you continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
· Work closely with the Creative Director and leads to design, implement, and own game systems, features, and content.
· Generate documentation to clearly communicate ideas and goals.
· Prototype, implement and balance system variables to create an entertaining gameplay experience for a diverse array of play styles.
· Work with all departments on the scheduling and integration of systems designs, as well as feature development goals and execution.
· Develop data-gathering methods for game balancing and tuning through focus testing, then implement changes based on the data.
· Work closely with QA to ensure quality throughout the product lifecycle.
· Design, learn, and optimize new tools and workflows with minimal supervision.
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
· 3+ years of game design experience in a relevant role.
· Shipped 1+ AAA titles as a game designer.
· Experience with Unreal Engine 4 in AAA game production
· Proven experience in a professional game production pipeline.
· Comfortable working in game editors and understanding engine/game constraints and opportunities.
· Knowledge and experience using UE4 Blueprints.
· Strong methodology and problem solving ability, with focus on creative and fun gameplay.
· Experience designing systems and content for multiplayer games.
· Experience designing systems and content for RPGs.
· Able to accept and give constructive criticism and maintain a professional attitude.
· Independently self-motivated, team player with excellent communication skills.
· Experience creating and balancing game play with a holistic, "get your hands dirty" approach.
· Passionate gamer with knowledge of current commercial game titles.
· Has been a key contributor from prototype to polish.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.