Senior Game Designer [Unannounced Project] (205)
Newcastle upon Tyne England gb
1 month ago
Senior Game Designer
Play a crucial role in creating key game systems with respect to the creative direction and assist the Lead Game Designer in maintaining the highest standard of quality within the project.
Lead Game Designer
- Play a key role in the creation of game systems in collaboration with the Creative Director and the Lead Game Designer;
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with key stakeholders to confirm task direction and consistency of work;
- Collaborate with the user research lab and QC teams in regards to playtests of prototypes and implement feedback into work;
- Create, balance, and assist with implementation of major game systems;
- Combine innovation with a strong knowledge of existing industry standards to create game systems which will provide the best experience for players;
- Carry ideas from conception through prototyping to detailed design and implementation;
- Produce clear, effective design documentation according to project standards and contribute to improving documentation standards and best practices;
- Manage change effectively, ensuring that all members of the project team are kept aware of game design changes when they occur;
- Monitor implementation of game systems and work closely with QA to ensure that systems remain consistent with the current design;
- Manage the player journey from single player to co-operative/player versus player, designing game systems which make the transition between these states as seamless as possible;
- Create and manage systems which interface between the game and mainstream social media platforms to facilitate and encourage social interaction for the benefit of the player, the game, the community and the studio;
- Manage key aspects of the multiplayer experience including grouping, matchmaking and player to player interactions;
- Provide support, objective feedback and mentoring for the team;
- Share knowledge and promote best practices in game design at design team, project team and studio level;
- Take a primary role in raising the overall knowledge level in the design team, project team and studio regarding online, multiplayer and social features;
- Assist the Lead Game Designer with any other ad hoc responsibilities.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong knowledge of a wide range of games across multiple platforms and an understanding of the core design concepts which underpin them;
- Excellent knowledge of current design methodologies regarding player acquisition, engagement, retention and monetization;
- Strong understanding of 3Cs, usability and UI design best practices;
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Aware of market trends, technology advancements and general progression within the games industry;
- A comprehensive working knowledge of applications related to documentation such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Wiki etc.;
- Bachelor’s degree in game design or other relevant training;
- 5 years’ minimum experience in game design or other relevant experience;
- Shipped at least 1 game within the game design discipline, preferably full cycle on a ‘AAA’ console title.
Salary: Competitive + Relocation
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
Ubisoft reserves the right to close this advert earlier should we feel we have received sufficient applications.
Ubisoft is 10,000 creative minds spanning 6 continents. With around 85% of its staff devoted to game development, Ubisoft has the 2nd largest in-house creative team in the world.
The company’s 27 different creative studios work hand-in-hand each day to deliver rich and innovative gaming experiences that reflect the creativity and diversity of their teams. This cross-studio collaboration model means every team member has the opportunity to participate in challenging projects based on brands including Assassin's Creed®, For Honor® Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Tom Clancy's The Division, Rabbids®, Rayman®, Watch Dogs®, Far Cry®, The Crew®, Just Dance® and more