Senior Experience Designer - UI/Visual - Maxis
11 days ago
Senior XD Designer - UI/Visual Design
At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking.
It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it's about amazing our fans. Taking risks. Collaborating with each other. Daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
As an Experience Designer on The Sims, you'll report to the Development Director for Creative and work with a team of enthusiastic industry craftspeople from all walks of life. You will use your passion and knowledge to lead the development of the user interface and related systems from initial prototypes through final design.
You will work with your engineering, design, UXR and Production partners to create experiences that surprise, delight, and invite millions of gamers around the world to Play with Life.
The Sims has a very unique player base with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best stories and experiences for our players.
- Create, document and maintain the UI systems through the product development.
- Develop a modular, responsive UI system in Unreal that works on all platforms (mobile, tablet, PC, Console)
- Create the UI Style guide - this role would also help decide what platform software we use to maintain the style guide to allow for iterative design and collaboration.
- Produce the game's visual design system that includes iconography, typography, visual hierarchy, brand expression and motion.
- Initiate, define and lead R&D and innovation initiatives pertaining to UI design, UI motion, and UI VFX.
- Partner with XD team to author and co-own the design pattern library and component library.
- Deliver high fidelity and high-quality UI screens that align with the product's experience goals, usability and accessibility standards.
- Design and implementation of UI elements, icons etc. into the dev prototypes in Unreal.
- You will be the Unreal expert in UI who will guide the team in best practices.
- Collaborate closely with the other Experience Designers to gather requirements, explore creative directions, produce prototypes and iterate based on testing results.
- Someone who is a systems thinker and doer.
- Experience designing UI systems that are intuitive and engaging while balancing player, business and technical goals.
- Experience designing with players motivations and needs in mind.
- Able to digest and interpret player feedback to make meaningful improvements to the UI.
- Partner with stakeholders to set priorities and find balanced design solutions to player and business goals within technical constraints.
- Strong visual design skills (i.e., composition, iconography, layout, typography, color theory) with the ability to lay out complex information in an easy to understand manner.
- Motion graphics skills, the ability to bring interfaces to life with usability in mind.
- Comfortable presenting cohesive design solutions to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience designing a cross platform UI system is a giant plus.