Senior Director of Localization
7 days ago
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex is looking for an experienced Senior Director of Localization to join our team in Cambridge, UK, to transform and scale up our localization team into an industry-leading internationalization department. Currently solely focused on RuneScape localization in 3 languages, the department must transform into an organization able to support a broad portfolio of games in 10+ languages at a simultaneous release cadence.
Your experience in management and strategic thinking capabilities will shape how we communicate with a global audience through all channels and ensure the quality of our international player experience. These locally adapted experiences must provide an experience as close to the original version as possible and you understand that mere translation of the content in no way achieves this goal.
This role requires close working relationships with internal and external game development teams, creative services, community, product marketing, country managers, QA, Player Support, etc. It also requires management of internal teams and a portfolio of external vendors that help with localization engineering, translation and adaptation, editing, proofreading, transcreation and creative writing, localization process creation, maintenance and adaptation.
Key Duties Include:
- Analyze the current department’s configuration and deployment, develop and present a plan to transform Localization to meet our future needs, and then execute against that plan.
- Lead and evangelize the guiding vision and overall strategy for Localization across the studio.
- Create, clearly communicate, and continuously improve best practices for Localization at Jagex.
- Lead a team able to internationalize games that vary in scope from tens of thousands of words to millions of words.
- Build and lead a high performing team ensuring a strong culture of trust and collaboration.
- Structure a core internal team to ensure the best possible quality experience for our players whilst dealing with scale and flexibility through effective external partnerships.
- Prioritize and direct strategies to support short- and long-term departmental and studio goals.
- Ensure effective monitoring and flexible planning within an Agile production environment.
- Forecast, track, and provide both strategic analysis and process improvement relating to working with external partners.
- Define and build reporting frameworks and KPI’s that can effectively track and maintain a data-informed perspective at the project, departmental and external partner levels.
- Ensure goals, objectives, milestones, and deliverables are achieved at both the game and company levels.
- Proven success in a senior role related to international production and localization at a publisher, major studio or large game services company.
- Have shipped MMO, RPG, ARPG, or other word intensive genres globally (EMEA, APAC, LATAM).
- Significant experience of localizing AAA PC and console titles at scale.
- Demonstrable knowledge of all facets of the localization set-up and process including but not limited to translation, audio, LQA, tools, engineering, outsourcing.
- Previous responsibility for localization of simultaneous multiple projects, providing insight and influence into how to execute and deliver more effectively.
- Strong communication, diplomacy, and people management skills; ability to work across multiple business units and stakeholders.
- Organized and calm within a dynamic, fast-changing environment.
- Project management (PMP, Agile or other certification a plus).
- Passion for videogames and the business of supporting video game production.
- Occasional travel required.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.