Senior Data Scientist - Ads
27 days ago
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
WHY DATA SCIENCE & ANALYTICS?
The Data Science & Analytics organization's mission is to increase our speed, frequency, and acumen of our business decisions and to empower and scale product innovations. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum, including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling, and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product groups, we use this vast tool belt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure the impact on our community of players and developers.
WHY ADVERTISING SCIENCE AT ROBLOX?
Advertising at Roblox is new, facing critical scale, effectiveness, and implementation challenges, while operating in our civility and user-focused experiences. As a new strategic area, work will be novel and impactful. Scientific rigor will be critical in success as we organize our data model, design principled measurement systems, and architect the future of incrementality measurement and actioning, to enable our communities.
You will contribute to the new Advertising Science team within the broader Economy DSA team, contributing with Engineering and Product to innovate our advertising systems and operations. Work will include experimental design, causal modeling, auction design / evaluation, and reaching towards incrementality actioning / bidding. We are early in this multi year journey, and seek a senior applied scientist to help design this vision and execute the innovation to achieve it.
- Advance data-informed decision-making using economic theory and scientific rigor
- Create and motivate metrics reflective of first-principles, and use them to advance user experience and ad market efficiency
- Accelerate product development through your understanding of the underlying data and your ability to partner with product and technical leaders to provide insights
- Design science roadmaps and experimentation agendas to determine success of product feature launches
- Architect complex and disparate data to enable strategic and system analyses
- Report to the Sr. Director leading Economy Data Science
- Deep experience in digital advertising - systems, measurement sciences, and principled incrementality approaches - and passion for incentive challenges
- 6+ years of industry or academic experience in data science, economics, analytics, or machine learning engineering
- 6+ years of experience using scripting languages (Python, R), and big data query/processing languages and tools such as SQL, Hive, Spark and Airflow
- Experience in scaled econometric and modeling, especially in environments with limited data accessibility
- Experience with ad auctions, and experimentation in market settings
- Experience in varied environments and track record of simplifying complex and ambiguous problems
- Graduate education in a technical field (preferred: rigorous applied training including a PhD in economics / statistics / bioinformatics / cognitive science / physics / similar)
- A strong communicator. You understand that analysis must be presented in meaningful ways and lead spirited discussions about the findings. You can explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs
- Passionate about developing other technical talent. You are motivated to share your expertise and develop other team members while leading your own space
- Expert in data transformation and programming, and proficient in developing data pipelines through use of Spark, Hive, and Airflow
- Candid on relative opportunities for impact, and evidence-seeking to update beliefs
- Highly proficient in a specialized technical area: econometrics, biostatistics, observational causal inference, causal ML, and / or data modeling
- Proficient in data and applied methodologies. You use cutting-edge techniques (or develop new ones) to extract value and drive insights for strategic topics.
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
$253,430 — $310,270 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Roles that are based in our San Mateo, CA Headquarters are in-office Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, with optional in-office on Monday and Friday (unless otherwise noted).
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.