Senior Data Engineer - Contract
13 days ago
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Analytics, Data Sciences & Engineering (ADSE) is the heart of player, product, and business insights on our titles. This role reports to the Senior Director of ADSE and is one of the most critical roles we have as it acts as both a part of the game development team and as a centre of growth for our Studio in unlocking insights about our players and our business. The person in this role is most successful when they can merge technical skill with user needs to drive incredible player experiences while guiding and growing a team of rock stars to grow, learn and succeed. If that’s you, we should talk!
The data engineering team will deliver and manage a data stack that will fuel the whole studio on insights for our games, players and overall business. Collaborate with internal and external teams and stakeholders to develop and deliver data solutions and capabilities that integrate with online gaming technology.
- Advance and maintain our core data infrastructure and ETL framework.
- Develop and extend our core tools, frameworks, and Kubernetes-based platform.
- Develop data sets to support reporting and exploratory analytics.
- Aid in performing migrations from existing systems to new cloud stacks.
- Optimise data structure and system performance for best cost / usage ratio.
- Work with game and tech development teams on data flow and integration points.
- Work cross functionally with analysts to ensure data integrity and velocity.
- Assess and recommend available and new big data technologies.
- Contribute to post implementation reviews demonstrating success.
- Expertise in Python, SQL, shell scripting, and databases.
- Expertise with container technologies and container orchestration frameworks, for example, Docker and Kubernetes, and their offerings on Google Cloud Platform, AWS, and Azure.
- Expertise with using IaC technologies for automated infrastructure deployment, for example, Terraform and AWS CloudFormation.
- Great team player, with highly developed technical skills with unflagging energy and focus
- Capability to drive initiatives and articulate their value to engineers, partners, and executives.
- Experience delivering data products from conception to delivery.
- Excellent personal organization, ability to prioritize, proactively drive projects to completion.
- Good communication skills (written/verbal).
- Skilled at designing and directing elegant ETL pipelines.
- Familiar with data vault modelling, Agile methodologies, and data governance methods.
- A desire to remain technically capable and an expert in current technologies.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.