Senior Corporate Counsel, PlayStation Studios
8 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Corporate Counsel, PlayStation Studios
San Mateo, CA
Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE or PlayStation) seeks a business-minded attorney who is well-versed in intellectual property, particularly in video games or other entertainment media, to work directly with game studios on product development and entertainment matters as a member of the PlayStation legal team. This position supports PlayStation Studios, our global collective of studios that develop hugely successful games that impact people’s lives. As counsel for PlayStation Studios, you will work collaboratively with other attorneys, legal professionals, clients, and a variety of teams across our global business, including game studios.
PlayStation offers the opportunity to work on cutting-edge legal issues in a technology company with an entertainment focus. Come join our team to help build world-class video gaming experiences that delight players and make PlayStation the best place to play.
- Build positive relationships with clients by partnering with premier game development studios and other internal collaborators to provide legal support
- Draft and negotiate a variety of deals with external partners, including game development agreements, software licenses, content licenses, talent agreements, and vendor services agreements
- Provide ongoing support for products and services on current and new platforms, including PlayStation 5 console, VR, PC, and mobile
- Coordinate clearance of game content for release, advising on trademark, copyright, rights of publicity, and PR risk
- Balance legal risks with business strategy to provide clear and practical legal advice to clients with a focus on empowering the business
- Collaborate with other subject matter authorities within the legal department to provide wholistic solutions to the business
- Design and provide legal trainings, policies, and guidelines for business clients and the global legal team
- Build and maintain a proven understanding of the video game industry, PlayStation’s portfolio of products and services, and relevant law, by attending industry events and legal trainings
- 12 years of experience as an attorney, with at least 3-4 years working in-house in a game, technology, or entertainment company, preferably with a focus on product development
- JD or LLM degree from accredited law school; admitted to a US state bar, California State Bar membership is preferred (at a minimum, the candidate must be qualified for and quickly obtain Registered In-House Counsel status in California and have the willingness to maintain that status during employment)
- Expertise in intellectual property law, including copyrights, trademarks, and rights of publicity, contract drafting and negotiations
- Passion for video games, entertainment, and technology
- Proven ability to think strategically, work independently and collaboratively, and lead complex negotiations
- Comfortable with a fast-paced environment, using organizational skills to manage multiple products at a time
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, with business-friendly mentality, and a desire to work closely with clients and external partners
- Knowledge of virtual currency and other video game economy issues, marketing law, employment and labor law, WGA writer agreements, film and television option agreements, open source software licensing, merchandise licensing, and privacy and data security law is desirable
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.