Senior Combat Designer
11 days ago
Phoenix Labs is looking for a Senior Combat Designer to join one of our new game initiatives in our Vancouver studio.
This person will work directly on a new IP and will work with the Design Vision Holder to ideate, prototype and implement combat experiences that are so fun and engaging the player will never want to put them down.
Phoenix Labs is a dynamic and iterative environment. We pride ourselves on our ability to continuously improve and do hard things. People are our most important asset, and we look for each new person to add to our mosaic culture. Our goal is to be a place where a diverse group of driven, collaborative, and empathetic developers can do their best work.
Applicants must live or be willing to relocate to within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Champion the game’s combat design, collaborating with the rest of the team to bring combat experiences to life.
- Pitch, design, prototype, implement, and iterate combat systems using a wide range of tools.
- Iterate on combat systems by running playtests, evaluating feedback, reviewing data, and proposing and implementing updates.
- Regularly facilitate discussions and brainstorming sessions on combat designs.
- Remain current on game industry trends including new games and game genres, emerging game design methods and techniques.
- Extensive experience in video game development in a design capacity.
- Experience designing and building combat systems.
- Excellent cross-discipline communication skills.
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game.
- Working knowledge of Unreal4, with experience creating and editing blueprints.
- Passion for video games, with a relentless thirst for learning from playing them.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Experience with programming and scripting environments to participate in the building of features and systems.
- Understanding of animation systems and scripting.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.
Phoenix Labs is headquartered in Vancouver, BC, with studios in Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.
Learn more about our values->